Coming Attractions - February 5, 2016
Feb. 5, 2016
Feb. 8 and 10 — Blueprint for Excellence community meetings
6 p.m. at the locations listed below.
The SAISD community is invited to a series of meetings to run through March 8 where Superintendent Pedro Martinez will outline the strategies and programs the District will implement to significantly increase academic performance by 2020. The blueprint is the result of six months of intense focus and represents the feedback and contributions of District staff, teachers, students, parents, community members, business leaders and elected officials – all of who play a critical role in the success of the efforts currently underway. The first two meetings will be:
● Feb. 9 (Mon) at Sam Houston High School,4635 E. Houston St.
● Feb. 10 (Wed) at Jefferson High Schoo723 Donaldson Ave.
Feb. 11 (Thurs) — A reading by LeVar Burton
9:15 to 10 a.m. (suggested media time) at Bowden Elementary, 515 Willow St.
The acclaimed actor and literacy advocate will read his book “The Rhino Who Swallowed a Storm” to pre-kinder to 5th-grade students. In addition to his roles in productions including “Roots” and “Star Trek,” the Emmy- and Grammy-winning LeVar Burton is known for hosting the PBS program “Reading Rainbow,” which ran from 1983 until 2009 and continues online. Burton will visit Bowden while in town for the President’s Lecture Series, which is sponsored by the elementary’s longtime partner St. Philip’s College.
Feb. 11 (Thurs) — Super Hero Academic Night
4:30 to 5:30 p.m. at Franklin Elementary,1915 W. Olmos Drive
Parents will find out about fun and hands-on reading and math activities they can do at home with their children to augment classroom learning. Life-size cardboard cutouts of heroes and action figures will be set up on stage for photo-ops with the participating students.
Feb. 12 (Fri) — Hoops for Heart and Stroke awareness
5:30 to 7 p.m. at the Davis Middle School gym, 4702 E. Houston St.
This East Side school is teaming up with the American Heart Association, City Year, Communities In Schools and first responders in helping to bring community awareness to the warning signs and symptoms of heart attacks and strokes in order to shorten reaction time.
Feb. 13 (Sat) — SAISD Athletic Hall of Fame Induction
4 to 6:30 p.m. at Sunset Station Depot 1, 1174 E. Commerce St.
Seven prominent sports figures representing the District’s rich and illustrious past will be inducted into the SAISD Athletic Hall of Fame’s class of 2016. In addition to outstanding athleticism, inductees were chosen for their distinction and excellence to SAISD by their conduct both on and off the field, or court, of competition. They are: Christi Cano, professional golfer who is a three-time qualifier for the U.S. Women’s Open - Edison High School class of 1999; Wayne Dickey, retired Sam Houston High School state champion basketball coach who led 25 playoff teams - Highlands High School class of 1970; William Carson “Nemo” Herrera, a former Lanier High School basketball coach who led the Voks to two state championships and nine trips to state - Brackenridge High School class of 1918, who will be honored posthumously; Kathleen Lovejoy, dedicated secretary to SAISD’s directors of athletics for more than half a century, and a volunteer historian since 1962; Warren McVea, a former NFL football player and Super Bowl champion with the Kansas City Chiefs - Brackenridge High School class of 1964; Gabriel Rivera, a former NFL football player who was part of the Pittsburgh Steelers Steel Curtain Defense -Jefferson High School class of 1979; and Dr. Dorothy “Dottye” Williams, a groundbreaking former SAISD assistant athletic director regarded as a pioneer in being the voice of girls athletic programs. Event sponsor is the SAISD Foundation.
Feb. 8-11 — Free family fitness classes
5:15 p.m., unless otherwise stated, at the SAISD schools listed below.
The popular Zumba dance fitness program is offered free to the community in partnership with Health Collaborative, a local network of citizens, community organizations and businesses. Classes will run through May 9, excluding holidays. Upcoming sessions will be:
● Feb. 8 (Mon) – at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
● Feb. 8 (Mon) – at Japhet Elementary, 314 Astor St., for the Highlands High School cluster
● Feb. 8 (Mon) – at Rhodes Middle School, 3000 Tampico St., for the Lanier High School cluster
● Feb. 9 (Tues) – at the Carvajal Early Childhood Center, 225 Arizona St., starting at 11:45 a.m.
● Feb. 9 (Tues) – at the Carroll Childhood Center, 463 Holmgreen Road, starting at 1:30 p.m.
● Feb. 9 (Tues) – at Page Middle School, 401 Berkshire Ave., for the Brackenridge High School cluster
● Feb. 9 (Tues) – at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
● Feb. 10 (Wed) – at Whittier Middle School, 2101 Edison Drive, for the Edison High School cluster
● Feb. 10 (Wed) – at the Young Men’s Leadership Academy, 545 S. W.W. White Road, for the Sam Houston High School cluster
● Feb. 11 (Thurs) – at the Tynan Early Childhood Center, 925 Gulf St., starting at 2:45 p.m.
● Feb. 11 (Thurs) – at the Knox Early Childhood Center, 302 Tipton St., starting at 3 p.m.
--- SAISD ---