Coming Attractions November 6, 2009
November 6, 2009
Nov. 6 (Fri) - Fox Tech HS Pep Rally – 6:30 p.m. at Fox Tech HS, 637 N. Main Ave
Lanier HS Pep Rally – 5p.m. at Lanier HS, 1514 W. Durango Blvd.
Nov. 7 (Sat) — ‘Return to the Little Red Schoolhouse’ book signing
11 a.m. to noon Dicke/Smith building foyer at Trinity University, One Trinity Place
Brackenridge High School special education teacher Denise M. Turgeon will sign copies of her book that outlines a plan on how schools can effectively react to the changes and problems students living in a fast-paced, digital society face.
Nov. 7 (Sat) — The Met: HD Live in Schools program
Noon at the Regal Fiesta 16 Stadium Theatre, 12631 Vance Jackson Ave.
“Turandot,” Giacomo Puccini’s story of a Chinese princess betrothed to marry any prince who can solve her three riddles, will be the first of two live opera broadcasts participating District middle school choir students and their directors will see this semester. Again this year SAISD is among school districts nationwide selected for this program offering New York Metropolitan Opera performances beamed directly from the Lincoln Center. Participation is part of a comprehensive fine arts lesson including vocals, music, history, set design, costuming and theater.
Nov. 7 (Sat) – 67th Annual Chili Bowl
7 p.m. Alamo Stadium, 110 Tuleta Drive
Fox Tech and Lanier high schools face off in the 67 year-old football tradition, Chili Bowl, at Alamo Stadium. Time Warner channel 988 will cover the entire game including highlights of the events leading up to it. The pre-game events include pep rallies at both high schools:
Nov. 10 (Tues) — Ceremony to honor veterans
9:30 a.m. at Rogers Middle School, 314 Galway St.
Posters created by 8th-graders honoring their family members who are veterans or currently serving in the military will be displayed, and presentations will be made by the concert band and orchestra. Sixth and 7th-graders will give cards and gifts of toiletries they collected for patients to representatives of the Audie Murphy Veteran's Memorial Hospital. Veterans and members of the armed services are invited to attend.
Nov. 10-12 — ‘Laying the Foundation’ professional training session
8 a.m. to 4:40 p.m. at Mission Academy, 9210 S. Presa St
SAISD Advanced Placement and Pre-AP English, math and science teachers are learning new ways to teach their students high-level thinking skills as part of rigorous lessons on their respective subjects. The training focuses on hands-on learning, creativity, technology and technical literacy. This is the third in a series of “Laying the Foundation” sessions to be held during the 2009-10 school year.
Nov. 11 (Wed) — Veterans Day ceremonies
Among the observances for those who dedicated their lives for their country will be:
● 7:50 a.m. at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
Veterans past, present and future will be honored through a flag-raising ceremony, music, speeches and the playing of taps. Student performing groups and participants will include the band, cheerleaders, and JROTC cadets.
● 8:15 a.m. at Lamar Elementary School, 201 Parland Place
Members of the VFW Post #1553 will donate a flag and demonstrate the proper way of raising and lowering it. Veteran John Rodriguez will be guest speaker.
● 8:30 a.m. at Wilson Elementary School, 1421 Clower St.
During a precision drill, flags from all branches of the military will posted in the presence of their respective armed services representatives. The ceremony will honor those fallen, missing in action and prisoners of war.
● 9 a.m. at Woodlawn Hills Elementary School, 110 W. Quill Drive
Lauro Garza, U.S. Naval Reserve member and Navy Times “Sailor of the Year” award recipient will be guest speaker and will play taps at the ceremony’s conclusion.
● 3:30 p.m. at Sam Houston High School, 3:30 p.m.
The ceremony will be led by the Hurricane JROTC battalion.
Nov. 12 (Thurs) — Safari Math Night
5:30 to 6:30 p.m. at Franklin Elementary School, 1915 W. Olmos Drive
Games led by the Spurs Coyote and a math magician will highlight this event promoting fun learning activities children can play with their parents.
Nov. 12 (Thurs) — Fall Festival
3:30 to 7 p.m. at Beacon Hill Elementary School, 1411 W. Ashby Place
Festivities will include a haystack candy search, pie in the face, face painting and a variety of refreshments.
Nov. 13 (Fri) — Mayoral visit
10:30 a.m. at Poe Middle School, 814 Aransas Ave.
Julián Castro will speak to students about the value of education.
Nov. 13 (Fri) — Whittier Soaring Hawks of the Month luncheon
11:30 a.m. to noon at Whittier Academy, 2101 Edison Drive
Each month five students are treated to a formal lunch in the teacher’s dining room in honor of good attendance, academics and citizenship.
Nov. 14 (Sat) — Deafestival
10 a.m. to 8 p.m. at Comanche Park #2, 2600 Rigsby Ave.
SAISD deaf and hard-of-hearing students and their friends are invited to enjoy games while their parents learn about available resources and service providers.
Nov. 14 (Sat) — Healthy Lifestyles Community Walk and Food Bank Drive
1 to 3 p.m. at Beacon Hill Elementary School, 1411 W. Ashby Place
Participants are asked to bring two cans of food to use as hand weights as they walk three times around the school, the equivalent of one mile. At the walk’s conclusion, the cans will be donated to the San Antonio Food Bank. Information on healthy living will be provided by event partners the Edison High School Health Occupation Student Association, the University of the Incarnate Word’s Feik School of Pharmacy and others. The walk and food drive is funded through a $500 grant from the Texas State PTA.
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 04:30 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 08:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 13 20 | 05:30 PM GED graduation ceremony