Coming Attractions - Feb. 19, 2016
Feb. 19, 2016
Feb. 22 (Mon) — Kindness Project Compassion Award ceremony
Noon at Hawthorne Academy, 115 W. Josephine St.
Middle-school level students will be recognized for exemplifying kindness as part of a program promoting compassion throughout the community. The endeavor, Project Kindness, was initiated by 6th-graders in the Advancement Via Individual Determination college-prep system. Project partners were San Antonio Police Department officers, who presented kindness cards created by the AVID students to citizens they caught in the act of committing good deeds. Participating officers will be part of the award ceremony, while SAISD Superintendent Pedro Martinez will speak on compassion.
Feb. 23 and 24 — Blueprint for Excellence community meetings
6 p.m. at the locations listed below.
The SAISD community is invited to a series of meetings to run through March 8 where Superintendent Pedro Martinez outlines the strategies and programs the District will implement to significantly increase academic performance by 2020. The blueprint is the result of six months of intense focus and represents the feedback and contributions of District staff, teachers, students, parents, community members, business leaders and elected officials – all of who play a critical role in the success of the efforts currently underway. Upcoming meetings will be:
• Feb. 23 Tues) – Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
• Feb. 24 Wed) – Lanier High School, 1514 W. César Chávez Blvd.
Feb. 25 (Thurs) — SAISD Teachers of the Year celebration
5 to 7 p.m. at the Alamo Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta Drive
The nearly 90 campus educators selected by their peers as a Teacher of the Year will be honored. Three representing elementary, middle and high school level also will be announced as SAISD’s Distinguished Teachers of the Year. From this pool, nominees for a variety of outside honors will be considered.
Feb. 26 (Fri) — SAISD students to be honored as Veg OutSA! art contest winners
10:30 to 11 a.m. at San Antonio City Hall, 100 Military Plaza
Students from Cameron and Riverside Park elementaries will be presented bicycles as among the area winners of this competition sponsored by Mayor Ivy Taylor.
5:15 p.m., unless otherwise stated, at the SAISD schools listed below.
The popular Zumba dance fitness program is offered free to the community in partnership with Health Collaborative, a local network of citizens, community organizations and businesses. Classes will run through May 9, excluding holidays. Upcoming sessions will be:
● Feb. 22 (Mon) – at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
● Feb. 22 (Mon) – at Japhet Elementary, 314 Astor St., for the Highlands High School cluster
● Feb. 22 (Mon) – at Rhodes Middle School, 3000 Tampico St., for the Lanier High School cluster
● Feb. 23 (Tues) – at the Carvajal Early Childhood Education Center, 225 Arizona St., starting at 11:45 a.m.
● Feb. 23 (Tues) – at the Carroll Early Childhood Education Center, 463 Holmgreen Road, starting at 1:30 p.m.
● Feb. 23 (Tues) – at Page Middle School, 401 Berkshire Ave., for the Brackenridge High School cluster
● Feb. 23 (Tues) – at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
● Feb. 24 (Wed) – at Whittier Middle School, 2101 Edison Drive, for the Edison High School cluster
● Feb. 24 (Wed) – at the Young Men’s Leadership Academy, 545 S. W.W. White Road, for the Sam Houston High School cluster
● Feb. 25 (Thurs) – at the Tynan Early Childhood Education Center, 925 Gulf St., starting at 2:45 p.m.
● Feb. 25 (Thurs) – at the Knox Early Childhood Education Center, 302 Tipton St., starting at 3 p.m.