Coming Attractions - February 26, 2016
Feb. 26, 2016
Feb. 29 and March 2 and 3 — Blueprint for Excellence community meetings
6 p.m. at the locations listed below.
The SAISD community is invited to a series of meetings to run through March 8 where Superintendent Pedro Martinez outlines the strategies and programs the District will implement to significantly increase academic performance by 2020. The blueprint is the result of six months of intense focus and represents the feedback and contributions of District staff, teachers, students, parents, community members, business leaders and elected officials – all of who play a critical role in the success of the efforts currently underway. Upcoming meetings will be:
• Feb. 29 (Mon) – Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive
• March 2 (Wed) – Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
• March 3 (Thurs) – Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive
March 2 (Wed) — Read Across America celebrations
Schools Districtwide will join others throughout the nation in marking what would have been beloved children’s author Dr. Seuss, aka Theodor Seuss Geisel’s, 112th birthday. Activities include these scheduled for the following schools where celebrations will feature visits from Clifford the Big Red Dog and H-E-Buddy, who will distribute books assisted by Lanier High School students. The teens also will read to the youngsters in small groups.
● 1:30 p.m. at Crockett Elementary, 2215 Morales St.
● 2:45 p.m. at Douglass Elementary, 318 M.L. King Drive
March 5 (Sat) — Run 4 Education 5K
8:30 a.m. start time at Alamo Stadium, 110 Tuleta Drive
Proceeds benefit the SAISD Foundation in support of the District’s students. For more information, go to the event section at: www.saisdfoundation.com.
March 5 (Sat) — Book-signing for SAISD author educator
12:30 to 2 p.m. at Yanaguana Garden at Hemisfair Park, 434 S. Alamo St.
Ogden Elementary 1st-grade teacher Jennifer Mendiola will read and sign copies of her recently published children’s book “I Only Just Love You a Lot.”
March 6 (Sun) – Make it Pop! Family Day
11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the San Antonio Museum of Art, 200 W. Jones Ave.
Admission will be free for SAISD students and their families. Among the featured attractions will be creating collages, prints, landscapes and more inspired by 1960s and ‘70s pop art artists including Corita Kent, and an art exhibit by students from nearby Lamar Elementary. There also will be entertainment and free refreshments. First Sundays for families is an ongoing partnership between SAISD and SAMA and is made possible through a variety of grants
Feb. 29 thru March 3 — Free family fitness classes
5:15 p.m., unless otherwise stated, at the SAISD schools listed below.
The popular Zumba dance fitness program is offered free to the community in partnership with Health Collaborative, a local network of citizens, community organizations and businesses. Classes will run through May 9, excluding holidays. Upcoming sessions will be:
● Feb. 29 (Mon) – at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
● Feb. 29 (Mon) – at Japhet Elementary, 314 Astor St., for the Highlands High School cluster
● Feb. 29 (Mon) – at Rhodes Middle School, 3000 Tampico St., for the Lanier High School cluster
● March 1 (Tues) – at the Carvajal Early Childhood Center, 225 Arizona St., starting at 11:45 a.m.
● March 1 (Tues) – at the Carroll Childhood Center, 463 Holmgreen Road, starting at 1:30 p.m.
● March 1 (Tues) – at Page Middle School, 401 Berkshire Ave., for the Brackenridge High School cluster
● March 1 (Tues) – at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
● March 2 (Wed) – at Whittier Middle School, 2101 Edison Drive, for the Edison High School cluster
● March 2 (Wed) – at the Young Men’s Leadership Academy, 545 S. W.W. White Road, for the Sam Houston High School cluster
● March 3 (Thurs) – at the Tynan Early Childhood Center, 925 Gulf St., starting at 2:45 p.m.
● March 3 (Thurs) – at the Knox Early Childhood Center, 302 Tipton St., starting at 3 p.m.
-- SAISD ---