Apply online for 2018-19 school year at https://saisdchoice.com/.
Coming Attractions - March 4, 2016
March 4, 2016
March 5 (Sat) — Run 4 Education 5K
8:30 a.m. at Alamo Stadium, 110 Tuleta Drive
Approximately 3,500 SAISD staff, students, parents and community members, some of whom are first-time 5-K participants, will lace up their running shoes for a good cause. Proceeds benefit the District’s students, and sponsors include the SAISD Foundation, H-E-B and Whataburger. For more information, go to the event section at: www.saisdfoundation.com.
March 5 (Sat) — San Antonio Sports iPlay Golf tournament
8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston St.
More than 800 students including those from 35 SAISD elementaries will hit the greens for a Saturday of fun and fitness. The players are 3rd through 5th graders who are part of San Antonio Sports iPlay, an after-school program that incorporates lessons on active living, good nutrition and strong personal character. Forty-five SAISD and Harlandale ISD elementaries are participants in the program.
March 5 (Sat) — Book-signing for SAISD author educator
12:30 to 2 p.m. at Yanaguana Garden at Hemisfair Park, 434 S. Alamo St.
Ogden Elementary 1st-grade teacher Jennifer Mendiola will sign copies of her recently published children’s book “I Only Just Love You a Lot.”
March 6 (Sun) – Make it Pop! Family Day
11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the San Antonio Museum of Art, 200 W. Jones Ave.
Admission will be free for SAISD students and their families. Among the featured attractions will be creating collages, prints, landscapes and more inspired by 1960s and ‘70s pop art artists including Corita Kent, and an art exhibit by students from nearby Lamar Elementary. There also will be entertainment and free refreshments. First Sundays for families is an ongoing partnership between SAISD and SAMA and is made possible through a variety of grants.
March 8 (Tues) — Blueprint for Excellence community meeting for Spanish speakers
6 p.m. at Whittier Middle School, 2101 Edison Drive
This will be the final in a series of gatherings where Superintendent Pedro Martinez outlines the strategies and programs the District will implement to significantly increase academic performance by 2020 will be conducted in Spanish The blueprint is the result of six months of intense focus and represents the feedback and contributions of District staff, teachers, students, parents, community members, business leaders and elected officials – all of who play a critical role in the success of the efforts currently underway.
March 8-10 – PK and Kinder Roundup
8 to 11 a.m. and 1 to 4 p.m. Extended hours running until 7 p.m. on March 10
Parents of children who will start pre-kinder or kindergarten in 2016-17 are invited to get a jump start on next school year by registering them at the school they will attend.
March 8-11 – Head Start 2016 application event
Times and the SAISD early childhood education centers are listed below.
Parents of eligible 3- and 4-year olds may apply for the 2016-17 school year at:
• 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. March 8 at Knox ECEC, 302 Tipton St.
• 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. March 9 at Knox ECEC, 302 Tipton St.
• 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. March 10 at Carvajal ECEC, 225 Arizona St.
• 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. March 11 at Carvajal ECEC, 225 Arizona St.
March 7-10 — Free family fitness classes
5:15 p.m., unless otherwise stated, at the SAISD schools listed below.
The popular Zumba dance fitness program is offered free to the community in partnership with Health Collaborative, a local network of citizens, community organizations and businesses. Classes will run through May 9, excluding holidays. Upcoming sessions will be:
● March 7 (Mon) – at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
● March 7 (Mon) – at Japhet Elementary, 314 Astor St., for the Highlands High School cluster
● March 7 (Mon) – at Rhodes Middle School, 3000 Tampico St., for the Lanier High School cluster
● March 8 (Tues) – at the Carvajal Early Childhood Center, 225 Arizona St., starting at 11:45 a.m.
● March 8 (Tues) – at the Carroll Childhood Center, 463 Holmgreen Road, starting at 1:30 p.m.
● March 8 (Tues) – at Page Middle School, 401 Berkshire Ave., for the Brackenridge High School cluster
● March 8 (Tues) – at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
● March 9 (Wed) – at Whittier Middle School, 2101 Edison Drive, for the Edison High School cluster
● March 9 (Wed) – at the Young Men’s Leadership Academy, 545 S. W.W. White Road, for the Sam Houston High School cluster
● March 10 (Thurs) – at the Tynan Early Childhood Center, 925 Gulf St., starting at 2:45 p.m.
● March 10 (Thurs) – at the Knox Early Childhood Center, 302 Tipton St., starting at 3 p.m.
-- SAISD ---