Apply online for 2018-19 school year at https://saisdchoice.com/.
Coming Attractions - April 1, 2016
April 5 (Tues) — ‘Students on the Rise’
6 to 8 p.m. at the Fox Tech High School cafeteria, 637 N. Main Ave.
SAISD’s highest-performing juniors and sophomores and their parents will have the opportunity to connect with prominent institutions of higher education outside of Texas and District alumni who attended them to learn about the benefits of going to out-of-state colleges and how to overcome any challenges they might face. Superintendent Pedro Martinez will provide opening comments, followed by small-group sessions where participants can meet with alumni and representatives from 30 of the nation’s top colleges and universities with a track record of covering full tuition costs. SAISD is offering “Students on the Rise” in collaboration with groups and individuals including state Sen. José Menéndez, the Intercultural Development Research Association, Ivy Plus San Antonio, Teach For America and City Year, as well as current and retired educators and community members.
April 6 (Wed) — Jefferson High School Fiesta medal presentation and fundraiser
5 to 7 p.m. at Chris Madrid’s Restaurant, 1900 Blanco Road
The limited-edition 2016 Jefferson Lasso Alumni Association’s Fiesta medal will go on sale at this event also honoring Lassos from the 1990s. Event sponsor is the Lasso Alumni Association, formed to support this and future generations of San Antonio’s most famous rope twirlers.
April 8 (Fri) — Art Expo & Open Mic Night
4 to 7 p.m. at Travis Early College High School, 1915 N. Main Ave.
This exposition of the visual, literary and performing arts will include an exhibit of paintings, drawings and photography, while the open mic portion will feature singing, poetry and story readings. Connoisseurs will be able to acquire a potential future masterpiece at an auction of student artwork to benefit the school.
April 9 (Sat) — San Antonio Food Bank Farmer’s Market
10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Wheatley Middle School, 415 Gabriel St.
The community is invited to shop for fresh fruits and veggies and enjoy samples of foods prepared as part of cooking demonstrations. The market, to take place every second Saturday of the month, is one of two to be held monthly at an SAISD East Side campus. They are offered in collaboration with the San Antonio Food Bank, SAISD and the Eastside Promise Neighborhood. The host campuses are among a half dozen EPN schools in an area supported through Promise Zone and other federal grants.
April 10 (Sun) — Battle of Flowers Association to honor SAISD art students
2 to 3:30 p.m. at the San Antonio Garden Center, 3310 N. New Braunfels Ave.
Students from Highlands and Jefferson high schools will be recognized for their artwork, which placed in the annual Band Festival Program Cover Design Contest. They will be among 30 area student artists to be honored during the Battle of Flowers Art Show and their award-winning creations will appear on the association’s website.
April 4-7 — Free family fitness classes
5:15 p.m., unless otherwise stated, at the SAISD schools listed below.
The popular Zumba dance fitness program is offered free to the community in partnership with Health Collaborative, a local network of citizens, community organizations and businesses. Classes will run through May 9, excluding holidays. Upcoming sessions will be:
● April 4 (Mon) – at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
● April 4 (Mon) – at Japhet Elementary, 314 Astor St., for the Highlands High School cluster
● April 4(Mon) – at Rhodes Middle School, 3000 Tampico St., for the Lanier High School cluster
● April 5 (Tues) – at the Carvajal Early Childhood Center, 225 Arizona St., starting at 11:45 a.m.
● April 5 (Tues) – at the Carroll Childhood Center, 463 Holmgreen Road, starting at 1:30 p.m.
● April 5 (Tues) – at Page Middle School, 401 Berkshire Ave., for the Brackenridge High School cluster
● April 5 (Tues) – at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
● April 6 (Wed) – at Whittier Middle School, 2101 Edison Drive, for the Edison High School cluster
● April 6 (Wed) – at the Young Men’s Leadership Academy, 545 S. W.W. White Road, for the Sam Houston High School cluster
● April 7 (Thurs) – at the Tynan Early Childhood Center, 925 Gulf St., starting at 2:45 p.m.
● April 7 (Thurs) – at the Knox Early Childhood Center, 302 Tipton St., starting at 3 p.m.
--- SAISD ---