Coming Attractions November 13, 2009
November 13, 2009
Nov. 14 (Sat) — Deafestival
10 a.m. to 8 p.m. at Comanche Park #2, 2600 Rigsby Ave.
The District’s deaf and hard-of-hearing students and their friends are invited to enjoy games while their parents learn about available resources and service providers.
Nov. 14 (Sat) — Drumline Competition
11 a.m. at the Kennedy High School Frank Mata Stadium, 1922 S. Gen McMullen Drive
SAISD is a co-sponsor of this event hosted by Edgewood ISD in which percussionists from area high schools will compete. Providing a live broadcast will be the Beat, KBBT-FM.
Nov. 14 (Sat) — Car show
11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
Hot rods, classic cars and motorcycles will be exhibited. Proceeds from the show and barbecue plates to be sold will benefit the school’s auto tech department.
Nov. 14 (Sat) — Healthy Lifestyles Community Walk and Food Bank Drive
1 to 3 p.m. at Beacon Hill Elementary School, 1411 W. Ashby Place
Participants are asked to bring two cans of food to use as hand weights as they walk three times around the school, the equivalent of one mile. At the walk’s conclusion, the cans will be donated to the San Antonio Food Bank. Information on healthy living will be provided by event partners the Edison High School Health Occupation Student Association, the University of the Incarnate Word’s Feik School of Pharmacy and others. The event is funded through a $500 grant from the Texas State PTA.
Nov. 16 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. in the Central Office Board Room, 141 Lavaca St.
Nov. 16 (Mon) — Visit from the San Antonio police chief
8:10 a.m. at Hawthorne Academy, 115 W. Josephine St.
William McManus will honor students who exemplify good character by presenting representatives from each classroom with a medal. The police chief’s visit is part of the school’s character education program whose focus this month is on people in uniform.
Nov. 17-18 — Textbook awareness sessions
4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Public participation is sought on some of the learning materials students will use next school year. Elementary books will be reviewed on the 17th, and secondary ones on the 18th. After receiving input from parents, teachers and the community, textbook committee members will make their recommendations for Trustee approval in January.
Nov. 17-19 — ‘Laying the Foundation’ professional training session
8 a.m. to 4:40 p.m. at Mission Academy, 9210 S. Presa St
SAISD Advanced Placement and Pre-AP English, math and science teachers will learn new ways to teach their students high-level thinking skills as part of rigorous lessons on their respective subjects. The training will focus on hands-on learning, creativity, technology and technical literacy. This is the third in a series of “Laying the Foundation” sessions to be held during the 2009-10 school year
Nov. 17-19 — Mariachi Vargas de Tecalitlan presentation
While in town for the 15th Annual Mariachi Vargas Extravaganza, two members of this famed group will provide pointers for students enrolled in some of SAISD’s mariachi programs. Presentations will be made:● Nov. 17 (Tues) – 2 p.m. at Irving Academy, 1300 Delgado St.
● Nov. 17 (Tues) – 3:15 p.m. at Whittier Academy, 2101 Edison Drive
● Nov. 18 (Wed) – 11:30 a.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
● Nov. 18 (Wed) – 1 p.m. at Austin Academy, 621 W Euclid Ave.
● Nov. 18 (Wed) – 2:45 p.m. at Twain Middle School, 2411 San Pedro Ave.
● Nov. 18 (Wed) – 4:30 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland● Nov. 19 (Thurs) – 9:40 a.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica
● Nov. 19 (Thurs) – 11:15 a.m. at Fox Tech High School, 637 Main Ave.
● Nov. 19 (Thurs) – 2 p.m. at Poe Middle School, 814 Aransas Ave.● Nov. 19 (Thurs) – 3:15 p.m. at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
Nov. 18 (Wed) — ‘Ag in the city’ fair
9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
District 4th-graders will learn about all aspects of farm life from caring for animals through a Palo Alto College mobile veterinarian’s presentation, food cultivation, soil and conservation, floral design and hands-on activities featuring turning milk into homemade ice cream. Sponsor for the first annual fair is the Burbank agricultural program.
Nov. 19 (Thurs) — Parent picnic
10:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Schenck Elementary School, 101 Kate Schenck Ave.
Parents are invited to dine outdoors with their child and school staff. The purpose of the picnic is to encourage parental support and volunteer efforts.
Nov. 20 (Fri) — Confidence building drill
8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Mission Academy, 9210 S. Presa St.
This drill for the school’s safety patrol members will be led by a San Antonio police officer.
Nov. 20 (Fri) — Reading Rock Stars presentation
8:45 to 11:30 a.m. at Rogers Elementary School, 620 McIlvaine St.
Texas writers Diana Gonzalez Bertrand and Benjamin Alire Saenz will give signed copies of their books to the school library and students. Their presentation is sponsored by the Texas Book Festival’s Reading Rock Stars program that provides students in economically-disadvantaged public schools with opportunities to meet the authors of the books they read.
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 17 20 | 10:00 AM San Antonio Fire Department S.A.F.E. House demonst...
- May 17 20 | 10:00 AM Drawing to treat perfect attendance student to Tay...
- May 18 20 | 09:00 AM PTA LOT
- May 18 20 | 09:00 AM Go Green Club craft, art and rummage sale
- May 18 20 | 12:30 PM Middle School UIL awards ceremony
- May 20 20 | 09:00 AM Parent room grand opening
- May 20 20 | 09:00 AM Career Day
- May 20 20 | 10:00 AM Edison High School to hold Mock Disater Drill
- May 20 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- May 21 20 | 10:00 AM Excellence in Education news conference
- May 22 20 | 05:00 PM 2013 Art Showcase
- May 22 20 | 06:30 PM SAISD Night of Champions
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony