Relay Graduate School of Education
How to Apply
Master of Arts in Teaching: Content Intensive Track
San Antonio Independent School District is launching a fourth cohort through the District's partnership with the Relay Graduate School of Education (Relay GSE). SAISD middle and high school Math, Science and ELA teachers will be eligible to apply to the program. The M.A.T. - Content Intensive track is dedicated to improving the content knowledge and pedagogical methods of veteran teachers that will lead to dramatic improvements in urban classrooms. Relay GSE is building a relay of great teachers who are creating more equitable educational opportunities for all children. This means...
- An emphasis on content knowledge.
- Teaching teachers how to teach all children.
- Helping educators continously improve.
- Preparing teachers to be eligible to offer dual-credit coursework.
About the program
- SAISD will provide full tuition coverage for M.A.T.-Content Intensive track students in exchange for three years continued employment beyond degree completion.
- Participant is responsible for books and other fees, if applicable.
- The program is 1.5 years commitment: 4 semesters plus Master’s defense work.
- Program begins summer 2019
- Program participants will be expected to continue working full time as teachers throughout the program.
- Participants will be expected to either be certified in the content area for which they are pursuing the degree or to take the certification exam at their own time and cost.
- 40 percent of the program work will be online; 60 percent will be in person, at the Relay program location.
- Classes meet once/week for 2.5 hours and 1 half day Saturday/month.
- Watch a video giving you a quick look at the Relay GSE.
Relay Adminssions overview
The ideal candidate has at least two years of successful teaching experience and is committed to ensuring that all children receive the educational and life opportunities they deserve. Our educators are from a variety of backgrounds, and are humble, life-long learners.
Relay Admissions Requirements
- At least 2 years of successful teaching as measured by performance, evaluations, and student data.
- An official, hard copy, degree-conferred undergraduate transcript that shows proof of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- A cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale (although applicants with a GPA lower than 3.0 but at least 2.75 may be considered for admission by submitting an additional letter of recommendation that explains their qualifications for admission to Relay).
- Sealed hard copies of official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, even where a degree was not earned.
- Proof of Texas probationary or standard teaching certificate or out-of-state equivalent matching the applicant’s program of study at Relay San Antonio.
- A resume.
- Contact information for at least one recommender, whom Relay will contact.
Relay and SAISD Admissions process
- Applicants may submit interest on SAISD's Interest Form before March 17, 2019.
- Relay will open the application process March 2019 and close April 30, 2019.
- Relay and SAISD will select candidates based on: GPA, performance, data, and recommendations from principals.
- Priority will be given to teachers who currently have a certification in ELA, Science or Math.
- Those admitted to the program will be notified by the end of May, and the program will begin early summer 2019