SAISD-Relay Secondary Master’s Program
Beginning August 2017, 100 experienced SAISD middle and high school Math, Science, Reading and Social Studies teachers will have the opportunity to earn a Master of Arts-Content Intensive (M.A.T.-CI) degree through the District’s partnership with the Relay School of Graduate Education.
In this program, certified secondary teachers with at least two years of experience will be eligible to receive 18 hours of graduate-level coursework in their subject area, as well as training in general pedagogy. Teachers will strengthen their content knowledge and gain qualifications to teach dual-credit courses, add additional certification areas, and introduce a greater level of rigor in their classrooms.
SAISD will provide full tuition coverage for M.A.T.-CI students in exchange for three years continued employment beyond degree completion.
- 2 years of experience as a teacher, with performance data
- An official, hard copy, degree-conferred undergraduate transcript that shows proof of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- A cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale (although applicants with a GPA lower than 3.0 but at least 2.75 may be considered for admission by submitting an additional letter of recommendation that explains their qualifications for admission to Relay).
- Sealed hard copies of official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, even where a degree was not earned.
- Proof of Texas probationary or standard teaching certificate or out-of-state equivalent matching the applicant’s program of study at Relay San Antonio.
- A resume.
- An essay.
- Contact information for at least one recommender, whom Relay will contact.
A two-tiered applications process will be used.
- Relay will close their application process on June 9, 2017
- SAISD will select candidates and those selected will move to the next round of the application with Relay.
- Considered as part of the application process will be: GPA, performance, data and recommendations from principals.
- Priority will be given to teachers who currently have a certification in one of the content areas of Math, Science, or Social Studies.
- Those admitted to the program will be notified by the end of June, and the program will begin in August 2017.
About the program
- Program participants will be expected to continue working full time as teachers throughout the program.
- Participants will be expected to either be certified in the content area for which they are pursuing the degree or to take the certification exam at their own time and cost.
- 40 percent of the program work will be online; 60 percent will be in person, at the Relay program location.
- Tuition for the program is free-of-cost to teachers who are accepted (the teachers cover books and fees); with a commitment from the teachers to remain in the district another three years after they complete the program. SAISD covers the cost of tuition
Also check out details regarding the Ogden Teaching and Learning Lab School posted on our webpage right now!