Ms. Martinez was selected by the Board on March 27, 2017 and was officially appointed on April 10, 2017 to fill an unexpired term. She is a life-long resident of SAISD and parent of two SAISD students. Ms. Martinez is employed as vice president of external relations with Big Brothers Big Sisters of South Texas. She has worked in nonprofit organizations for more than 10 years, including San Antonio Youth Literacy and Girl Scouts, supporting partnerships with the District. Ms. Martinez earned a Bachelor’s degree in English from the University of Texas at San Antonio. Her current term expires in 2023.
What is a School Board?
The SAISD Board of Trustees, composed of seven District residents, is the school system's policy-making body. Each trustee represents one of seven single-member districts and is elected by voters of that district. Single-member districts were implemented in 1986. Trustees serve four-year terms
The Board's major duties include:
- Adopting goals and objectives for the District
- Reviewing and acting on policies
- Adopting an annual budget and setting the tax rate
- Electing school personnel as recommended by the superintendent
- Reporting to the public on the District's progress