Coming Attractions December 18, 2009
December 18, 2009
Dec.19 (Sat) — The Met: HD Live in Schools program
Noon at the Regal Fiesta 16 Stadium Theatre, 12631 Vance Jackson Ave.
Jacques Offenbach’ “Les contes d'Hoffmann,” based on three short stories by German horror and fantasy author E. T. A. Hoffmann, will be the second of two live opera broadcasts that select District middle school choir students and their directors will see this semester. Again this year SAISD has been chosen among school districts nationwide for this program providing opportunities to experience New York’s Metropolitan Opera performances beamed directly from the Lincoln Center. Participation is part of a comprehensive fine arts lesson including vocals, music, history, set design, costuming and theater.
Dec. 21 thru Jan. 1 — Winter Break
All schools and most offices will be closed and re-open Monday, Jan. 4.
Jan. 5 (Tues) — Visit from Congressman Ciro Rodriguez
9 a.m. at Connell Middle School, 400 Hot Wells Blvd at South New Braunfels Avenue
The 23d District U.S. representative will encourage students to get the new year off to a successful academic start.
Jan. 8 (Fri) — ‘Music In The Schools’ competition
6 p.m. at Sunset Station’s Lone Star Pavilion
A dozen high school mariachi and drumline groups including SAISD’s Brackenridge, Edison, Fox Tech and Highlands will compete in this kick-off event for the Jan. 9 U.S. Army All-American Bowl. The musicians will perform before a panel of judges including singer Viki Carr and a live audience, who will determine the winner through text votes. All participants will receive educational scholarships to benefit their schools’ music departments. The competition is sponsored by Music In The Schools in partnership with the annual bowl featuring high school all stars. Come game day, yet another SAISD student performing group will be in the spotlight. The Connell Middle School drumline is expected to be shown playing during some timeouts and commercial breaks for the gridiron match to be broadcast on NBC.
Jan. 9 (Sat) — FIRST Robotics Competition kickoff
9 a.m. at Memorial High School (Edgewood ISD), 1227 Memorial St.
SAISD aspiring engineers will be part of 22 teams from San Antonio and South Texas-area high schools tuning into a live Webcast from NASA to learn details of the game rules for this annual international robotics contest. Afterward, they will pick up their part kits and attend workshops conducted by industry mentors. Teens will next spend six weeks designing and building a robot for regional competition. Winners will vie at divisional contests to determine contestants for the championship scheduled for April. Sponsor is FIRST, the For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology organization founded to attract students into the fields of engineering and technology.
--- SAISD ---
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 04:30 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 08:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 13 20 | 05:30 PM GED graduation ceremony