Coming Attractions January 8, 2010
January 8, 2010
Jan. 9 (Sat) — East Side Investment Summit
8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston St.
This is the first in a series of three summits hosted by District 2 Councilmember Ivy Taylor and Mayor Julián Castro to set revitalization and economic development goals for San Antonio’s East Side. The public is invited to attend.
Jan. 9 (Sat) — FIRST Robotics Competition kickoff
9 a.m. at Memorial High School (Edgewood ISD), 1227 Memorial St.
Aspiring engineers from three SAISD high schools will be part of 22 teams from San Antonio and South Texas-area campuses tuning into a live Webcast from NASA to learn details of the game rules for the annual international robotics contest. Afterward, they will pick up their part kits and attend workshops conducted by industry mentors. Teens will next spend six weeks designing and building a robot for regional competition. Winners will vie at divisional contests to determine contestants for the championship scheduled for April. Sponsor is FIRST, the For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology organization founded to attract students into the fields of engineering and technology.
Jan. 9 (Sat) — U.S. Army All-American Bowl
Noon kickoff at the Alamodome, 100 Montana St.
SAISD’s Connell Middle School drumline is expected to be shown playing during some timeouts and commercial breaks for the gridiron match featuring high school all stars to be broadcast on NBC.
Jan. 12 (Tues) — SAISD superintendent to address Greater SA Chamber of Commerce
8 a.m. at the Marriott Rivercenter Hotel salon C, 101 Bowie St.
Dr. Robert J. Durón will provide a state-of-the-district address in his speech “History in the Making: Education At The Heart Of Our City’s Future.”
Jan. 13-15 — ‘Big River’ performance
7 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave
The Fine Arts Magnet Academy will present this Broadway adaptation of Mark Twain’s “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” that earned Tony awards for singer/song writer Roger Miller and novelist William Hauptman. Admission is $5 in advance and $8 at the door. For reservations call 378-6851.
Jan. 16 (Sat) — Service Day honoring the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at locations including M.L. King Academy, 3501 MLK Drive
In conjunction with the late civil rights leader’s upcoming birthday observances, City Year San Antonio volunteers will beautify several East Side locations. In addition to general clean up, gardens, flower boxes and benches will be constructed and murals painted at sites including SAISD’s M. L. King Academy.
Jan. 16 (Sat) — The Met: HD Live in Schools program
Noon at the Regal Fiesta 16 Stadium Theatre, 12631 Vance Jackson Ave.
French composer Georges Bizet’s classic “Carmen,” a story set in 1830 Seville, Spain, about a beguiling, fiery-tempered gypsy, is the first of two live broadcasts that select District middle school choir students and their directors will see this semester. Through the HD Live in Schools program, students are provided opportunities to experience New York’s Metropolitan Opera performances beamed directly from the Lincoln Center. SAISD’s participation is part of a comprehensive fine arts curriculum.
Jan. 18 (Mon) — Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Schools and most offices will be closed.
--- SAISD ---
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- June 10 20 - June 28 20 | 07:30 AM Greater San Antonio All Stars summer enrichment
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 08:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 10 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM SAISD summer musical theatre camp
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 10:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 11 20 - August 09 20 Seamless Summer Nutrition Program
- June 11 20 - June 28 20 | 09:00 AM Jump Start Your Summer AND GEAR UP for High School
- June 17 20 - August 09 20 | 07:30 AM Summer recreation
- June 17 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM 4th Annual Alamo City Band Camp
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 14 20 - August 23 20 Staff Development Days
- August 19 20 - August 20 20 Teacher Workday
- August 26 20 First Day of School
- September 02 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 25 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks
- October 28 20 Start of 2nd Nine Weeks
- November 25 20 - November 29 20 Holiday - Thanksgiving Day
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 20 Holiday / Bad Weather Day