Coming Attractions January 15, 2010
Jan. 16 (Sat) — Service Day honoring the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at locations including M.L. King Academy, 3501 MLK Drive
In conjunction with the late civil rights leader’s upcoming birthday observances, City Year San Antonio volunteers will beautify several East Side locations. In addition to general clean up, gardens, flower boxes and benches will be constructed and murals painted at sites including SAISD’s M. L. King Academy.
Jan. 16 (Sat) — The Met: HD Live in Schools program
Noon at the Regal Fiesta 16 Stadium Theatre, 12631 Vance Jackson Ave.
French composer Georges Bizet’s classic “Carmen,” a story set in 1830 Seville, Spain, about a beguiling, fiery-tempered gypsy, is the first of two live broadcasts that select District middle school choir students and their directors will see this semester. Through the HD Live in Schools program, students are provided opportunities to experience New York’s Metropolitan Opera performances beamed directly from the Lincoln Center. SAISD’s participation is part of a comprehensive fine arts curriculum.
Jan. 18 (Mon) — Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Schools and most offices will be closed.
Jan. 19 (Tues) — Special-called School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive at South St. Mary’s Street
An update will be provided on long-range strategic planning.
Jan. 22 (Fri) — ‘Teach Me SAISD’ red carpet festival
6 p.m. at the Instituto de Mexico, 600 HemisFair Plaza Way
Making their debut before an audience of their teen producers, cinematographers, publicists, and stars, along with SAISD staff and proud parents, will be videos that students from three high schools created in their media technology classes. Following the red carpet premiere the 45- and 60-second “Teach Me SAISD” marketing pieces will be shown at Santikos theaters, social networking sites and at District job fairs to recruit prospective teachers worldwide.
Jan. 23 (Sat) — SAISD Trustee block walk
10 a.m. to noon at neighborhoods Districtwide
Members of the SAISD School Board will knock on doors in their communities to talk with and hear from local residents.
Jan. 23 (Sat) — Community Service Day
10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Bowden Elementary School, 515 Willow St.
Event sponsors from the city of San Antonio Neighborhood Services Department will spruce up this East Side campus through the planting of trees, while Dial-A-Trailer will offer residents a convenient way to de-clutter their own properties by disposing of brush and large bulky items not collected during regular trash pick up. Safety information also will be provided parents, and school principal Guadalupe Diaz will speak with them about the importance of excellent attendance.
--- SAISD ---
- April 14 20 - April 17 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 17 20 | 02:00 PM Annual Fiesta Shoebox Float Parade
- April 17 20 | 06:15 PM Second Annual Pitch for the Cure
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony