Coming Attractions January 15, 2010
Jan. 16 (Sat) — Service Day honoring the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at locations including M.L. King Academy, 3501 MLK Drive
In conjunction with the late civil rights leader’s upcoming birthday observances, City Year San Antonio volunteers will beautify several East Side locations. In addition to general clean up, gardens, flower boxes and benches will be constructed and murals painted at sites including SAISD’s M. L. King Academy.
Jan. 16 (Sat) — The Met: HD Live in Schools program
Noon at the Regal Fiesta 16 Stadium Theatre, 12631 Vance Jackson Ave.
French composer Georges Bizet’s classic “Carmen,” a story set in 1830 Seville, Spain, about a beguiling, fiery-tempered gypsy, is the first of two live broadcasts that select District middle school choir students and their directors will see this semester. Through the HD Live in Schools program, students are provided opportunities to experience New York’s Metropolitan Opera performances beamed directly from the Lincoln Center. SAISD’s participation is part of a comprehensive fine arts curriculum.
Jan. 18 (Mon) — Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Schools and most offices will be closed.
Jan. 19 (Tues) — Special-called School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive at South St. Mary’s Street
An update will be provided on long-range strategic planning.
Jan. 22 (Fri) — ‘Teach Me SAISD’ red carpet festival
6 p.m. at the Instituto de Mexico, 600 HemisFair Plaza Way
Making their debut before an audience of their teen producers, cinematographers, publicists, and stars, along with SAISD staff and proud parents, will be videos that students from three high schools created in their media technology classes. Following the red carpet premiere the 45- and 60-second “Teach Me SAISD” marketing pieces will be shown at Santikos theaters, social networking sites and at District job fairs to recruit prospective teachers worldwide.
Jan. 23 (Sat) — SAISD Trustee block walk
10 a.m. to noon at neighborhoods Districtwide
Members of the SAISD School Board will knock on doors in their communities to talk with and hear from local residents.
Jan. 23 (Sat) — Community Service Day
10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Bowden Elementary School, 515 Willow St.
Event sponsors from the city of San Antonio Neighborhood Services Department will spruce up this East Side campus through the planting of trees, while Dial-A-Trailer will offer residents a convenient way to de-clutter their own properties by disposing of brush and large bulky items not collected during regular trash pick up. Safety information also will be provided parents, and school principal Guadalupe Diaz will speak with them about the importance of excellent attendance.
--- SAISD ---
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 14 20 | 03:30 PM GED Graduation
- June 14 20 | 08:00 PM Travis Early College High School Graduation
- June 15 20 | 05:00 PM Cooper Academy Graduation
- June 15 20 | 07:30 PM Navarro High School Graduation
- June 16 20 | 02:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14