Coming Attractions January 22, 2010
Jan. 22, 2010
Jan. 23 (Sat) — SAISD Trustee block walk
10 a.m. to noon at neighborhoods Districtwide
Members of the SAISD School Board will knock on doors in their communities to talk with and hear from local residents.
Jan. 23 (Sat) — Community Service Day
10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Bowden Elementary School, 515 Willow St.
Event sponsors from the city of San Antonio Neighborhood Services Department will spruce up this East Side campus through the planting of trees, while Dial-A-Trailer will offer residents a convenient way to de-clutter their own properties by disposing of brush and large bulky items not collected during regular trash pick up. Safety information also will be provided to parents, and school principal Guadalupe Diaz will speak with them about the importance of excellent attendance.
Jan. 25 (Mon) — School Board recognition reception and meeting
5 p.m. at Burnet Learning Center, 406 Barrera St.
The contributions of SAISD’s hard-working and award-winning Trustees will be honored during a reception celebrating Texas School Board Recognition Month. The regularly-scheduled monthly meeting will start at 6 p.m.
Jan. 26 (Tues) — SAISD Council of PTAs general meeting
6:30 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive near Blanco Road
The public is invited to meetings of PTA chapter representatives Districtwide.
Jan. 26 (Tues) — Financial Aid Night
7 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive near Blanco Road
College-bound students and their parents will receive information on the application process, entrance exams, financial aid and scholarships. Financial Aid Night is offered by SAISD’s Office of Student Support in partnership with Project Stay Inc.
Jan. 26 (Tues) — SAISD Fine Arts Coalition General Assembly Meeting
7 p.m. at the Jefferson High School music facility, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Patrons interested in supporting a fine arts education are invited to attend. Guest speaker will be District 7 Trustee Ed Garza, and topics of discussion will include upcoming fine arts events and fund raisers. Coalition members comprise parents, students and music educators who advocate improving all aspects of the fine arts in SAISD.
Jan. 28 (Thurs) — Mayoral address
6:30 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Julián Castro will speak on the importance of education at a community and parent meeting.
Jan. 30 (Sat) — Clinic by the Heart of Texas band
9 a.m. to noon at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
As part of their educational outreach efforts, these musicians comprising former and current school band directors, military personnel, and physicians will help students prepare for this spring’s University Interscholastic League competition.
Jan. 31 (Sun) — ‘Dancing with the Hot Band’ concert
3 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
Student musicians will show what they learned at Saturday’s clinic through a “side-by-side” performance of “Serenade and Dances” by James Sudduth with the Heart of Texas band. The concert also will include other performances by the Heart of Texas featuring Texas State University’s internationally-renowned saxophone soloist Todd Oxford.
--- SAISD ---
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 04:30 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 08:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day