Coming Attractions February 5, 2010
Feb. 5, 2010
Feb. 6 (Sat) — SA Association for the Education of Young Children annual conference
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Following a performance by SAISD’s Mission Academy choir, keynote speaker Bexar County 225th District Court Judge Peter Sakairi will open the conference at 8:15 a.m., and session presenters will include a variety of District educators and administrators. Lunchtime entertainment will be provided by the Mission Academy Acoustic Dreams Jazz Group. SAAYEC comprises all levels of area educators and administrators – ranging from those who work in child care centers up to higher education – as well as community groups and parents. The association’s purpose is to raise public awareness and understanding of the needs of young children and their families, and to keep up-to-date in current early childhood education trends. Board member and chairwoman for the annual conference is Mission Academy’s award-winning principal Maria Elena Garza.
Feb. 6 (Sat) — East Side Investment Summit
11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston St.
The public is invited to attend this final in a series of three summits setting revitalization and economic development goals for San Antonio’s East Side. Event sponsors are District 2 Councilmember Ivy Taylor and Mayor Julián Castro.
Feb. 6 – 7 (Sat & Sun) – SAISD On the Air via Education Channel
Starting the weekend of Feb. 6, San Antonio ISD will broadcast the “Teach Me Film Premiere” public service announcements produced by high school students. Brackenridge, Jefferson and Sam Houston produced the PSAs. You can watch the spots on the Education channel on Saturdays and Sundays at 2 p.m. Time Warner Cable subscribers can tune into Channel 98, Grande Cable customers can watch Channel 21 and AT&T U-verse Cable subscribers can tune into Channel 99.
Feb. 9 (Tues) — TAKS Extravaganza
6 p.m. at Davis Middle School cafeteria, 4702 E. Houston St.
In preparation of the upcoming Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills exam, parents and their children will learn fun activities they can do together at home to reinforce classroom lessons in the core subject areas. A dinner provided by the San Antonio chapter of the Phi Delta Kappa Sorority for teachers will precede the extravaganza at 5 p.m.
Feb. 9-11 — ‘Laying the Foundation’ professional training session
8 a.m. to 4:40 p.m. at Mission Academy, 9210 S. Presa St
SAISD Advanced Placement and Pre-AP English, math and science teachers will learn new ways to teach their students high-level thinking skills as part of rigorous lessons on their respective subjects. The training focuses on hands-on learning, creativity, technology and technical literacy. This is the fourth and final in a series of “Laying the Foundation” sessions to be held during the 2009-10 school year.
Feb. 10 (Wed) — ‘Rampage READ-iculous’ winners reward
1:30 to 2:25 p.m. at Hillcrest Elementary School, 211 W. Malone Ave.
In honor of 3rd-grade bilingual students meeting their reading goals for this contest sponsored by the Alamo City’s hockey team, players will read to their class. Cheering everyone on will be T-bone, the Rampage mascot.
Feb. 11 (Thurs) — Reading by Radio Disney
2 p.m. at Maverick Elementary School, 107 Raleigh St. near Babock Road
In observance of Black History month two representatives from the popular radio network Radio Disney AM 1160 will read to 3rd graders.
Feb. 11 (Thurs) — Financial Aid Night
6:30 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. Durango Blvd
College-bound students and their parents will receive information on the application process, entrance exams, financial aid and scholarships. Financial Aid Night is sponsored by SAISD’s Office of Student Support in partnership with Project Stay Inc.
Feb. 12 (Fri) — Black History Program
6:30 p.m. at Davis Middle School, 4702 E. Houston St
The community is invited to share in this celebration of African-American culture to feature dance, music and plays.
Feb. 13 (Sat) — ‘A Transition from High School to College’ conference
8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at UTSA Convocation Center, One UTSA Circle
SAISD high school students and their families can find out about preparing for higher education and available scholarships. Conference sponsor is the San Antonio Education Partnership.
--- SAISD ---
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 04:30 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 08:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day