Coming Attractions February 12, 2010
Feb. 12, 2010
Feb. 13 (Sat) — ‘A Transition from High School to College’ conference
8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at UTSA Convocation Center, One UTSA Circle
SAISD high school students and their families can find out about preparing for higher education and available scholarships. Conference sponsor is the San Antonio Education Partnership.
Feb. 13 (Sat) — ‘Love Your Community’ clean up
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Ave. near Blanco Road
The Los Angeles Heights area will receive an early Valentine’s Day gift through a neighborhood graffiti wipeout and recycling drive sponsored by environmental systems class students, the Student Water Action Team and Youth Leadership Organization.
Feb. 13 (Sat) — Literacy Fiesta
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at South Park Mall, 2310 S.W. Military Drive
Students and their parents are invited to celebrate the written word in this festivity featuring visits from some favorite storybook characters such as Corduroy, a teddy bear whose adventures are told in books by author Don Freeman. SAISD’s Department of Adult Education is one of the sponsors in this citywide effort.
Feb. 15 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Feb. 16 (Tue) — Mayoral visit
9 a.m. at Wheatley Middle School, 415 Gabriel St.
Julián Castro will speak to students about the importance of education.
Feb. 16 (Tue) — Booster seat giveaway
3:30 to 5:30 p.m. at Green Elementary School, 122 W. Whittier at South Presa streets
Free convertible, combination and booster seats and installation instructions will be provided by the University Health System to help reduce the number of children injured in car accidents.
Feb. 18 (Thurs) — Black history program
6 p.m. at Washington Elementary School, 1823 Nolan St.
Guest speaker will be Rance Olison, a former Sam Houston High School football coach and teacher. Also a published author, Olison penned the booklet “What the World Wants from Obama: Barack Obama’s Souvenir Historical Guide from 1619 – 2008.” This African- American timeline and presidential biography was used to accompany his teaching of American history.
Feb. 19 (Fri) — Census Community Leaders Briefing
8 to 10 a.m. at UTSA downtown campus, 501 W. Durango Blvd.
Entertainment provided by SAISD’s De Zavala Elementary School choir will close the meeting during which U.S. Census representatives will provide information to a variety of local organizations including the San Antonio Bexar County-Complete Count Committee.
Feb. 20 (Sat) — Annual Read & Lead cafe
10 a.m. to noon at Cameron Elementary School, 3635 Belguim Lane
On the menu will be fine food and literature at this perennial event where students and their parents gather to enjoy books and a free brunch. Donations deposited in the tip jar will benefit the school.
--- SAISD ---
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 04:30 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 08:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day