Coming Attractions February 12, 2010
Feb. 12, 2010
Feb. 13 (Sat) — ‘A Transition from High School to College’ conference
8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at UTSA Convocation Center, One UTSA Circle
SAISD high school students and their families can find out about preparing for higher education and available scholarships. Conference sponsor is the San Antonio Education Partnership.
Feb. 13 (Sat) — ‘Love Your Community’ clean up
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Ave. near Blanco Road
The Los Angeles Heights area will receive an early Valentine’s Day gift through a neighborhood graffiti wipeout and recycling drive sponsored by environmental systems class students, the Student Water Action Team and Youth Leadership Organization.
Feb. 13 (Sat) — Literacy Fiesta
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at South Park Mall, 2310 S.W. Military Drive
Students and their parents are invited to celebrate the written word in this festivity featuring visits from some favorite storybook characters such as Corduroy, a teddy bear whose adventures are told in books by author Don Freeman. SAISD’s Department of Adult Education is one of the sponsors in this citywide effort.
Feb. 15 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Feb. 16 (Tue) — Mayoral visit
9 a.m. at Wheatley Middle School, 415 Gabriel St.
Julián Castro will speak to students about the importance of education.
Feb. 16 (Tue) — Booster seat giveaway
3:30 to 5:30 p.m. at Green Elementary School, 122 W. Whittier at South Presa streets
Free convertible, combination and booster seats and installation instructions will be provided by the University Health System to help reduce the number of children injured in car accidents.
Feb. 18 (Thurs) — Black history program
6 p.m. at Washington Elementary School, 1823 Nolan St.
Guest speaker will be Rance Olison, a former Sam Houston High School football coach and teacher. Also a published author, Olison penned the booklet “What the World Wants from Obama: Barack Obama’s Souvenir Historical Guide from 1619 – 2008.” This African- American timeline and presidential biography was used to accompany his teaching of American history.
Feb. 19 (Fri) — Census Community Leaders Briefing
8 to 10 a.m. at UTSA downtown campus, 501 W. Durango Blvd.
Entertainment provided by SAISD’s De Zavala Elementary School choir will close the meeting during which U.S. Census representatives will provide information to a variety of local organizations including the San Antonio Bexar County-Complete Count Committee.
Feb. 20 (Sat) — Annual Read & Lead cafe
10 a.m. to noon at Cameron Elementary School, 3635 Belguim Lane
On the menu will be fine food and literature at this perennial event where students and their parents gather to enjoy books and a free brunch. Donations deposited in the tip jar will benefit the school.
--- SAISD ---
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School
- September 01 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 20 20 - October 23 20 State Testing Dates
- October 24 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks