Coming Attractions February 12, 2010
Feb. 12, 2010
Feb. 13 (Sat) — ‘A Transition from High School to College’ conference
8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at UTSA Convocation Center, One UTSA Circle
SAISD high school students and their families can find out about preparing for higher education and available scholarships. Conference sponsor is the San Antonio Education Partnership.
Feb. 13 (Sat) — ‘Love Your Community’ clean up
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Ave. near Blanco Road
The Los Angeles Heights area will receive an early Valentine’s Day gift through a neighborhood graffiti wipeout and recycling drive sponsored by environmental systems class students, the Student Water Action Team and Youth Leadership Organization.
Feb. 13 (Sat) — Literacy Fiesta
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at South Park Mall, 2310 S.W. Military Drive
Students and their parents are invited to celebrate the written word in this festivity featuring visits from some favorite storybook characters such as Corduroy, a teddy bear whose adventures are told in books by author Don Freeman. SAISD’s Department of Adult Education is one of the sponsors in this citywide effort.
Feb. 15 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Feb. 16 (Tue) — Mayoral visit
9 a.m. at Wheatley Middle School, 415 Gabriel St.
Julián Castro will speak to students about the importance of education.
Feb. 16 (Tue) — Booster seat giveaway
3:30 to 5:30 p.m. at Green Elementary School, 122 W. Whittier at South Presa streets
Free convertible, combination and booster seats and installation instructions will be provided by the University Health System to help reduce the number of children injured in car accidents.
Feb. 18 (Thurs) — Black history program
6 p.m. at Washington Elementary School, 1823 Nolan St.
Guest speaker will be Rance Olison, a former Sam Houston High School football coach and teacher. Also a published author, Olison penned the booklet “What the World Wants from Obama: Barack Obama’s Souvenir Historical Guide from 1619 – 2008.” This African- American timeline and presidential biography was used to accompany his teaching of American history.
Feb. 19 (Fri) — Census Community Leaders Briefing
8 to 10 a.m. at UTSA downtown campus, 501 W. Durango Blvd.
Entertainment provided by SAISD’s De Zavala Elementary School choir will close the meeting during which U.S. Census representatives will provide information to a variety of local organizations including the San Antonio Bexar County-Complete Count Committee.
Feb. 20 (Sat) — Annual Read & Lead cafe
10 a.m. to noon at Cameron Elementary School, 3635 Belguim Lane
On the menu will be fine food and literature at this perennial event where students and their parents gather to enjoy books and a free brunch. Donations deposited in the tip jar will benefit the school.
--- SAISD ---
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 21 20 | 10:00 AM Excellence in Education news conference
- May 22 20 | 05:00 PM 2013 Art Showcase
- May 22 20 | 06:30 PM SAISD Night of Champions
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 14 20 | 03:30 PM GED Graduation
- June 14 20 | 08:00 PM Travis Early College High School Graduation
- June 15 20 | 05:00 PM Cooper Academy Graduation
- June 15 20 | 07:30 PM Navarro High School Graduation