Coming Attractions February 19, 2010
Feb. 19, 2010
Feb. 20 (Sat) — Annual Read & Lead cafe
10 a.m. to noon at Cameron Elementary School, 3635 Belguim Lane
On the menu will be fine food and literature at this perennial event where students and their parents gather to enjoy books and a free brunch. Donations deposited in the tip jar will benefit the school.
Feb. 23 (Tues) — ‘Juice for Jo Ann’ replacement blood drive
3 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at Maverick Elementary gym, 107 Raleigh St.
As a show of support for 3rd-grade teacher and 30-year SAISD veteran Jo Ann Diaz who is battling cancer, the school is sponsoring a community blood donor clinic in affiliation with the South Texas Blood and Tissue Center.
Feb. 24 (Wed) — Community hero award presentation
5 p.m. at Graebner Elementary School, 530 Hoover St.
Raymond Garcia will be honored by a representative from the San Antonio Fire Department and school staff for heroism. The parent of a Graebner student recently saved the life of a neighborhood resident by rescuing her from her burning home before firefighters arrived.
Approximately 9:30 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. at Maverick Elementary School, 107 Raleigh St.
8:45 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Crockett Elementary School, 2215 Morales St.
1 p.m. at Barkley-Ruiz Academy, 1111 S. Navidad St.
These will be among schools participating in nationwide observances in honor of what would have been beloved children’s author Dr. Seuss, aka Theodor Seuss Geisel’s 106th birthday the following week. A variety of readers are scheduled. Featured at Maverick include the Jefferson High School football team and cheerleaders, and District 125 State Rep. Joaquin Castro between approximately 10 and 10:30 a.m.
Feb. 26 (Fri) — Donations to Haiti relief fund presentation
2:45 p.m. at Maverick Elementary School, 107 Raleigh St.
Money accumulated through a two-week penny drive will be presented to representatives from the American Red Cross. At last count nearly $940 had been collected to help the citizens of this earthquake-ravaged country.
Feb. 26 (Fri) — Festival for Black History Month
4 to 6 p.m. at Wheatley Middle School, 415 Gabriel St.
The celebration will include food booths, a dance contest, and a variety of organizations will be present to answer questions and provide information including the city police, fire and parks and recreations departments.
Feb. 27 (Sat) — San Antonio Golden Gloves Tournament
6 to 11 p.m. at the Alzafar Shrine Temple, 901 N.W. Loop 1604
The main event will feature six-time national champion Adam Lopez, a senior at SAISD’s Highlands High School, who will be in the ring with Kaylyn Alfred of Lafayette, La. Adam’s classmates will be offered a special ticket discount.
--- SAISD ---
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 04:30 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 08:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day