Coming Attractions February 19, 2010
Feb. 19, 2010
Feb. 20 (Sat) — Annual Read & Lead cafe
10 a.m. to noon at Cameron Elementary School, 3635 Belguim Lane
On the menu will be fine food and literature at this perennial event where students and their parents gather to enjoy books and a free brunch. Donations deposited in the tip jar will benefit the school.
Feb. 23 (Tues) — ‘Juice for Jo Ann’ replacement blood drive
3 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at Maverick Elementary gym, 107 Raleigh St.
As a show of support for 3rd-grade teacher and 30-year SAISD veteran Jo Ann Diaz who is battling cancer, the school is sponsoring a community blood donor clinic in affiliation with the South Texas Blood and Tissue Center.
Feb. 24 (Wed) — Community hero award presentation
5 p.m. at Graebner Elementary School, 530 Hoover St.
Raymond Garcia will be honored by a representative from the San Antonio Fire Department and school staff for heroism. The parent of a Graebner student recently saved the life of a neighborhood resident by rescuing her from her burning home before firefighters arrived.
Approximately 9:30 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. at Maverick Elementary School, 107 Raleigh St.
8:45 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Crockett Elementary School, 2215 Morales St.
1 p.m. at Barkley-Ruiz Academy, 1111 S. Navidad St.
These will be among schools participating in nationwide observances in honor of what would have been beloved children’s author Dr. Seuss, aka Theodor Seuss Geisel’s 106th birthday the following week. A variety of readers are scheduled. Featured at Maverick include the Jefferson High School football team and cheerleaders, and District 125 State Rep. Joaquin Castro between approximately 10 and 10:30 a.m.
Feb. 26 (Fri) — Donations to Haiti relief fund presentation
2:45 p.m. at Maverick Elementary School, 107 Raleigh St.
Money accumulated through a two-week penny drive will be presented to representatives from the American Red Cross. At last count nearly $940 had been collected to help the citizens of this earthquake-ravaged country.
Feb. 26 (Fri) — Festival for Black History Month
4 to 6 p.m. at Wheatley Middle School, 415 Gabriel St.
The celebration will include food booths, a dance contest, and a variety of organizations will be present to answer questions and provide information including the city police, fire and parks and recreations departments.
Feb. 27 (Sat) — San Antonio Golden Gloves Tournament
6 to 11 p.m. at the Alzafar Shrine Temple, 901 N.W. Loop 1604
The main event will feature six-time national champion Adam Lopez, a senior at SAISD’s Highlands High School, who will be in the ring with Kaylyn Alfred of Lafayette, La. Adam’s classmates will be offered a special ticket discount.
--- SAISD ---
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- June 10 20 - June 28 20 | 07:30 AM Greater San Antonio All Stars summer enrichment
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 08:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 10 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM SAISD summer musical theatre camp
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 10:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 11 20 - August 09 20 Seamless Summer Nutrition Program
- June 11 20 - June 28 20 | 09:00 AM Jump Start Your Summer AND GEAR UP for High School
- June 17 20 - August 09 20 | 07:30 AM Summer recreation
- June 17 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM 4th Annual Alamo City Band Camp
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 14 20 - August 23 20 Staff Development Days
- August 19 20 - August 20 20 Teacher Workday
- August 26 20 First Day of School
- September 02 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 25 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks
- October 28 20 Start of 2nd Nine Weeks
- November 25 20 - November 29 20 Holiday - Thanksgiving Day
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 20 Holiday / Bad Weather Day