Coming Attractions March 5, 2010
9 to 11:30 a.m. at the Alamo Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta
Each year this high-energy, action-packed extravaganza showcases what SAISD’s elementary-age youngsters are learning in their PE classes to stay physically-fit for life.
March 6 (Sat) — Annual plant sale
9 a.m. to noon at Madison Elementary School, 2900 W. Woodlawn Ave.
A variety of student-grown indoor and outdoor plants will be sold. Proceeds will benefit the children’s garden and greenhouse projects.
March 8 (Mon) — ‘Start Thinking Pink’ news conference
10:30 a.m. at H-E-B Plus McCreless Market, 4100 S. New Braunfels Ave.
SAISD’s Carmen Ng will be among the featured speakers to promote participation in the May 1 annual Komen San Antonio Race for the Cure fundraiser for breast cancer research. As one of the five “faces” of this year’s campaign, Ng is serving as a spokesperson for early detection and to offer the hope and inspiration that only a breast cancer survivor can provide. News conference host H-E-B Grocers is title sponsor for the “Race.”
11 to 11:45 a.m. and 12:15 to 1 p.m. at H-E-B Central Market, 4821 Broadway St.
Jesse Perez, a 1994 Burbank High School graduate who was named Top U.S. Latino Chef by the Flavors of Passion Awards, will share his talents with protégés from his alma mater, and from Sam Houston and Lanier high schools. The current executive chef at Long Beach, CA’s upscale restaurant Fuego at Hotel Maya will showcase his signature style of authentic and traditional coastal Latin American cuisine with a modern twist during private cooking classes for the aspiring chefs.
March 10 (Wed) — River Parade Children’s Art Contest winners announcement
10 a.m. at the Carver Academy, 217 Robinson Place
In his role as parade grand marshal the former Spurs legend David Robinson will announce the 11 finalists and grand prize winners expected to include an SAISD student. In 2009 the District’s Hawthorne Academy took top honors in the annual art contest.
March 10 (Wed) — Math & Science Night
5 to 6 p.m. at De Zavala Elementary School, 2311 San Luis
Students and their parents will enjoy fun, hands-on activities they can do together to reinforce classroom learning.
March 11 (Thurs) — Neighborhood Science Night
6 to 7 p.m. at Sentinel Point Apartments, 1235 E. Mulberry Ave.
Lamar Elementary 3rd – 5th-graders and their families are invited to gather in the courtyard of this nearby complex for an event featuring science-themed games and food.
March 13 (Sat) — ‘Walk for Your Health’ Health Science Expo and Health Fair
8:30 a.m. to noon at Whittier Academy, 2101 Edison Drive
New for this year’s 3rd-annual expo will be a 1-K walk about the school track. The community is invited to participate, as well as take advantage of free screenings available through health care organizations. The fair also is a showcase for this internal charter specializing in health and science open to students throughout Bexar County.
March 13 (Sat) — Friends of Sam Houston Annual Community Breakfast
9 a.m. to noon at Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston St.
Keynote speaker will be class of 1974 alum and former NASA astronaut Dr. Bernard Harris. Tickets are $25 each, and tables can be reserved for $250 and up. Proceeds fund student scholarships. For more information or to purchase tickets visit or call the school, 661-4134.
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 22 20 | 05:00 PM 2013 Art Showcase
- May 22 20 | 06:30 PM SAISD Night of Champions
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 14 20 | 03:30 PM GED Graduation
- June 14 20 | 08:00 PM Travis Early College High School Graduation
- June 15 20 | 05:00 PM Cooper Academy Graduation
- June 15 20 | 07:30 PM Navarro High School Graduation
- June 16 20 | 02:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony