Coming Attractions March 12, 2010
8:30 a.m. to noon at Whittier Academy, 2101 Edison Drive
New for this year’s 3rd-annual expo will be a 1-K walk about the school track. The community is invited to participate, as well as take advantage of free screenings available through health care organizations. The fair also is a showcase for this internal charter specializing in health and science open to students throughout Bexar County.
March 13 (Sat) — Friends of Sam Houston Annual Community Breakfast
9 a.m. to noon at Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston St.
Keynote speaker will be class of 1974 alum and former NASA astronaut Dr. Bernard Harris. Tickets are $25 each, and tables can be reserved for $250 and up. Proceeds fund student scholarships. For more information or to purchase tickets visit or call the school, 661-4134.
March 15-19 — Spring Break
All schools and most offices will be closed this week and will re-open Monday, March 22.
March 22 (Mon) — Dome Dribble Kickoff
10:30 a.m. at the Young Women’s Leadership Academy, 2123 W. Huisache Ave.
Bexar County’s only all-girls public school has been selected to host this annual kickoff promoting youth activities in connection with the NCAA Women’s Final Four weekend starting Friday, April 2, at the Alamodome. Among the YWLA special guests will be WNBA guard Marie Ferdinand, a former San Antonio Silver Star who currently plays for the Los Angeles Sparks. Students will receive T-shirts and basketballs to dribble to show some of the items youngsters can receive by registering to attend any of the several free Dome Dribble events.
March 22 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at Twain Middle School, 2411 San Pedro Ave.
March 26 (Fri) — Student Council induction
1 p.m. at Washington Elementary School, 1823 Nolan St.
Bexar County Precinct 4 Justice of the Peace Roger Lopez will preside over the ceremony.
March 26 (Fri) — PTA Family Arts Festival
3 to 6 p.m. at Bonham Academy, 925 S. St. Mary’s St
The community is invited to enjoy all aspects of the arts – from the visual to the fine arts. Performances will include drama presentations, the Bonham Ballet Folklorico dancers, poetry readings and art demonstrations. The event showcasing the internal charter’s focus on the fine arts also is supported by Southtown and King William-area artists.
March 26 (Fri) — Gifted and Talented Showcase
6 to 8 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
This annual event highlights projects created by Gifted and Talented students in grades kinder through 12 Districtwide.
March 27 (Sat) — Dreamgirls prom dress giveaway
1 to 5 p.m. at the Guadalupe Community Center, 1801 W. Durango Blvd.
Lanier High School students who may not otherwise attend their prom because they cannot afford the necessary wardrobe now will be able to, thanks to donations of new and gently-used dresses and accessories collected by members of the school’s Parent Involvement Department, who began the giveaway in 2007. They are joined this year in sponsorship by the host site. Participants also will have the opportunity to enter a prom dinner raffle.
March 27 (Sat) — ‘Shake ‘n’ Skate Night
6 to 8 p.m. at Car-Vel Skateland South, 2351 Goliad Road
SAISD students are invited to enjoy an evening of roller skating while supporting a worthy cause. Proceeds from the $8 per person price of admission will benefit the District’s Fine Arts in Education Coalition’s scholarship program.
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 17 20 | 10:00 AM San Antonio Fire Department S.A.F.E. House demonst...
- May 17 20 | 10:00 AM Drawing to treat perfect attendance student to Tay...
- May 18 20 | 09:00 AM PTA LOT
- May 18 20 | 09:00 AM Go Green Club craft, art and rummage sale
- May 18 20 | 12:30 PM Middle School UIL awards ceremony
- May 20 20 | 09:00 AM Parent room grand opening
- May 20 20 | 09:00 AM Career Day
- May 20 20 | 10:00 AM Edison High School to hold Mock Disater Drill
- May 20 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- May 21 20 | 10:00 AM Excellence in Education news conference
- May 22 20 | 05:00 PM 2013 Art Showcase
- May 22 20 | 06:30 PM SAISD Night of Champions
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony