Coming Attractions April 9, 2010
April 9, 2010
April 10 (Sat) — Rummage sale
8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
Proceeds will benefit the Highlands band. The sale is sponsored by the Band Boosters.
April 10 (Sat) — Brunch to honor Bonham Academy art students and program
10 a.m. to noon at the Education Testing Service office, 10999 IH 10 West, Suite 400
In appreciation of the school contributing student artwork to adorn ETS hallways, the organization will treat approximately 25 of the young artists and their families to a brunch, and donate $1,000 to the school’s art program. Among the internal charter’s specialties is the fine arts. The King William-neighborhood pre-kinder to grade 8 academy is open to students throughout Bexar County.
April 13 (Tue) — Author’s presentation
1:15 to 4:15 p.m. at Jefferson High School Library, 723 Donaldson Ave.
As a culminating activity for reading “Ball Don’t Lie,” a day in the life story of how a 17-year-old’s limitations are transcended when he plays basketball, students will have the opportunity to meet the author. In addition to discussing his first book and showing clips from its screen version set for a summer release, Matt de la Peña will talk about his journey from reluctant reader to published writer. His visit was made possible through a grant from the San Antonio Foundation for Excellence in Education.
April 14 (Wed) — Area 7 Texas PTA election meeting and leadership training
4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at Woodlawn Hills Elementary, 110 W. Quill Drive at Bandera Road
PTA members, officers, and chairpersons, along with educators and administrators, are invited to attend.
April 14 (Wed) — National Week of the Young Child pep rally
10 a.m. at Knox Early Childhood Education Center, 302 Tipton St.
T-Bone, the San Antonio Rampage Hockey team’s mascot, will lead 3- and 4-year-olds in celebrating this annual observance sponsored by the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
April 15 (Thurs) — Homecoming for El Rey Feo
10 a.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive near Blanco Road
Alum Walter Serna will speak to students at his alma mater about the value of education.
April 15 (Thurs) — Navy simulator tour
All school day at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive
In addition to the tour, teens will attend a 2 p.m. concert by the U.S. Naval Academy Band’s premier popular music group, the Electric Brigade. Throughout the day students will have the opportunity to visit a simulator. The event’s location will have special meaning for Commander Vincent Ortiz. The Navy’s San Antonio recruiting district’s executive officer attended the high school when it was named Wheatley.
April 15 (Thurs) — Walters Street Charrette
6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Pershing Elementary School, 600 Sandmeyer St.
This is the second of three meetings to gather community input on improving the Fort Sam Houston-area street, as well as the adjacent neighborhood.
April 17 (Sat) — Family Fitness Challenge & Wellness Fair kickoff
9 a.m. to noon at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
SAISD families are encouraged to get on the wellness wagon through attending this and other upcoming health-related fairs. Services will include diabetes, cholesterol and other screenings, CPR training, body mass index measurements and Zumba dance exhibitions.
--- SAISD ---
- April 14 20 - April 17 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 17 20 | 02:00 PM Annual Fiesta Shoebox Float Parade
- April 17 20 | 06:15 PM Second Annual Pitch for the Cure
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony