Coming Attractions April 16, 2010
April 16, 2010
April 17 (Sat) — Family Fitness Challenge & Wellness Fair kickoff
9 a.m. to noon at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
SAISD families are encouraged to get on the wellness wagon through attending this and other upcoming health-related fairs. Services will include diabetes, cholesterol and other screenings, CPR training, body mass index measurements and Zumba dance exhibitions.
April 17 (Sat) — Silver Dazzlers to perform at the Piñatas in the Barrios festival
3:30 p.m. at the Guadalupe Cultural Arts Center, 1300 Guadalupe St.
This 45-member dance troupe of 4th-, 5th-, and 6th-graders from SAISD’s Baskin Academy will be among the featured performers.
April 19 (Mon) — Miss Fiesta appearance
10 to 10:30 a.m. at De Zavala Elementary School, 2311 San Luis St.
The newly-crowned Virginia Eliott will meet with 1st- and 2nd-graders.
April 19 (Mon) — Electric Brigade concert
2 to 4:30 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive near Blanco Road
Students will be treated to a performance by the U.S. Naval Academy Band’s premier popular music group.
April 19 (Mon) — Visit from King Antonio
3:05 to 3:20 p.m. at Lamar Elementary School, 201 Parland Place near Broadway St.
His Royal Highness will present an outstanding boy and girl student and teacher with a gift. The appearance of King Antonio LXXXVIII and his entire entourage will kickoff Fiesta observances at the Mahncke Park neighborhood campus.
● April 20 (Tues) — 9 to 11:15 a.m. at Neal Elementary School, 3407 Capitol Ave.
● April 22 (Thurs) — 8:55 to 10:55 a.m. and 11:25 a.m. to 2:55 p.m. at Rodriguez Elementary School, 3626 W. Durango Blvd.
Representatives from EnviroMedia Social Marketing will present an anti-smoking campaign they developed for elementary-level children in partnership with the Education Service Center Region 20.
April 20-23 — SAISD musicians to perform at Ford Mariachi Festival
7 to 10 p.m. along the downtown River Walk
The District’s mariachis will represent Whittier Academy, Longfellow Middle School, and Brackenridge, Edison, Fox Tech, and Jefferson high schools.
April 21 (Wed) — Visit from Ms. San Antonio Queen of Soul
1:45 p.m. at M. L. King Academy, 3501 Martin Luther King Drive
Her Royal Highness Earnisa Ann Brent – who also is a senior at SAISD’s Edison High School’s Health Professions Magnet - will remind students of the importance of education.
April 21 (Wed) — Visit from HUD
3 to 3:20 p.m. at Navarro Learning Center for Teen Parents, 1214 Guadalupe St.
Representatives from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development will tour the center for tips on how its success can be emulated in other cities. This facility was funded through a HUD grant written by Dr. Harriett Romo, an associate professor in social and policy sciences at UTSA, in partnership with SAISD. Approximately 75 persons from throughout the United States will visit the center while in town for the Office of University Partnerships National Conference.
April 22 (Thurs) — Dedication of outdoor atrium
10 a.m. at Beacon Hill Elementary School, 1411 W. Ashby Place
The Earth Day ceremony will celebrate this habitat for the wonders of nature – a butterfly enclosure, gold fish pond and flower and vegetable garden. The atrium was designed by students, staff and community members, and funded through a San Antonio Foundation for Excellence in Education grant.
April 23 (Fri) — Battle of Flowers Parade Day
All District schools and most offices will be closed.
April 23 (Fri) — Performance by YWLA flamenco dancers
Starting at 12:45 p.m. at Broadway and Josephine streets
Las Bailarinas will make their debut at the Battle of Flowers Parade by performing to music from “West Side Story.” The 36-member dance troupe is from SAISD’s Young Women’s Leadership Academy, San Antonio’s only all-girl public school.
--- SAISD ---
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 28 20 | 05:30 PM Health and fitness fair
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 01 20 | 10:00 AM Mass casualty exercise
- May 02 20 | 10:00 AM Pathophysiology Case Prevention Grand Rounds
- May 02 20 | 01:00 PM Cinco de Mayo celebration
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony