Now Accepting Student Applications!
Click here for student enrollment application
WHAT IS NEW TECH?
Teams of students work in a 1:1 student to computer environment, researching, communicating and solving real problems in our community.
New Tech High Schools are an educational experience unlike anything else available at the high school level. Since the first New Tech High School was created in Napa, California, in 1996, over 60 New Tech schools have sprung up across the United States. And now one is coming to South Texas and San Antonio ISD.
New Tech is a high school where subjects are integrated, students work in teams and learning is project based – all in a technology-rich environment. New Tech High Schools meet or exceed state standards and have an intense focus on developing students’ 21st century skills including oral and written communication, critical thinking, work ethic, collaboration, problem solving, creativity and presentation skills.
Why New Tech?
- Teams of students work in a 1:1 student to computer environment, researching, communicating and solving real problems in our community.
- Project based learning brings relevance to learning
- Collaborative approach prepares students to succeed in life, college and the careers of tomorrow.
What is New Tech San Antonio?
- An exciting educational opportunity for only 250 incoming freshmen and sophomores.
- Open to all students in SAISD
- Operates as a school within a school; hosted on the Sam Houston High School campus.
What is Project-Based Learning?
Project-based learning (PBL) uses the latest technology and inquiry to engage students with issues and questions that are relevant to their lives. In New Tech classrooms, teachers design rigorous projects tied to state and district standards and customize them to real world applications and the interests of the learners. Students then work in teams to acquire and apply knowledge and skills to solve problems. For example, English and Social Studies classes can be integrated so that both groups are learning the same content in a team teaching environment.
With access to Web-enabled computers and the latest in collaborative learning technology, every student becomes a self-directed learner who no longer needs to rely primarily on teachers or textbooks for knowledge and direction. We use an online learning management system to create a vibrant network which helps students, teachers, and parents connect to each other, and to student projects, in San Antonio and across the country.
How Do I Enroll?
- Student completes New Tech San Antonio Application.
- Student submits application to school counselor, by mail or in person no later than Friday, March 11th, 2012.
- Student and parent attend New Tech San Antonio Meet and Greet in April/May 2012.
- Acceptance letters mailed by April 30th, 2012.
- Student and parent attend New Tech San Antonio Orientation in August 2012.
- Click here for student enrollment application