December 18 Snowflake Dance
Cookie Decoration Contest
Staff Christmas Party
Student Christmas Program
|History of Cameron Elementary|
Our History of Bella Cameron Elementary School
The original Cameron Elementary School building began construction in November, 1966, at 3635 Belgium Lane, in order to serve the children living in the newly built housing development just north of Willow Springs Golf Course. The school opened for classes in September, 1967, and was named for Mrs. Bella Cameron for her lifelong dedication to SAISD. The original building contained 14 classrooms, library, cafetorium and administrative offices. The cost of the original construction was $417,110.31. The funds for the school were provided in the bond issue of 1963; and the six acre site on which the building sits was acquired in May, 1965.
Mrs. Bella Cameron, for whom the school was named, entered the teaching profession with SAISD in 1919. She was appointed Principal of Cuney Elementary School in 1941 and held that position until 1964, when she was assigned the position of Principal of Washington Elementary School. Mrs. Cameron was the first African American to be named Principal of SAISD schools. Mrs. Cameron retired under Dr's orders in 1966, and, following a lengthy illness, she passed away in September, 1966.
Currently, Cameron Elementary School is being rebuilt at the original site thanks to the school bond passed in 2010. While Cameron is being renovated, the students are being housed at Pfeiffer Elementary School, at 4551 Dietrich Road; a previously closed facility that has been upgraded to accommodate the Cameron students, for the 2012-13, and, possibly, the 2013-14 school year. Among the list of enhancements the school will receive are classroom additions, cafeteria renovations, library and significant infrastructure upgrades.