Carvajal Early Childhood Education Center has the honor of being named for one of San Antonio’s best loved educator and civic leader: Esther Perez Carvajal. Mrs. Carvajal was a descendant of one of the original Canary Island settlers of our city. She loved and preserved her heritage through her writings on the culture of old Spain. Mrs. Carvajal was a teacher and then headed the Spanish Department (now known as the Bilingual Department) of the San Antonio ISD. She authored many bilingual text books that were used throughout the school system. Mrs. Carvajal made significant contributions to the advancement of bilingual education. She passed away in the 1940’s.
Carvajal opened its doors to approximately 550 students in September of 1949. Over the years, the school has expanded and improved. In 2009, Carvajal became an Early Childhood Education Center. Presently there are over 400 preschool students enrolled.