David Crockett Elementary originally opened as School #11 on Buena Vista St. in September 1894. In its early years it was often refered to as the Prospect Hill School. In May 1902, its name was changed to honor David Crockett. The school was moved to its present site, at 2215 Morales St., in 1973 where the former Washington Irving Junior High School once stood. In 2007 the old school was torn down and a completely new facility was constructed.