OK NOW IS THE TIME TO GET SERIOUS!
HAVE FUN PLANNING YOUR FUTURE!
1. Meet with your counselor to make sure you have signed up
for challenging courses for your junior year. (Colleges look at the difficulty of courses…they look for serious challenging courses)
2. STUDY STUDY! STUDY! Make the highest possible grades.
3. There are different types of higher education institutions…
Two year colleges…4+ year colleges,…Trade schools.
4. Talk with your GO CENTER tech about the difference.
5. When deciding which higher institution to attend it is important
to know the admission requirement. In the GO CENTER you can
research the requirements.
6. It is important that you keep a log of your grades and your GPA. If you need to concentrate on a certain subject, the sooner you know it the better.
7. Although your main courses are the first thing the college counselor looks at your extracarcular activities are important too. Get involved.
8. You may change your mind a few times about the area of study you want to pursue but it isn't to early to start researching majors.
9. Discuss with your counselor the importance of the PSAT and when you can take it.
10. Make a calendar to keep up with important dates.
HIGHER EDUCATION IS FOR ANYONE WHO
DESIRES TO FURTHER THEIR EDUCATION
THE TEXAS HIGHER EDUCATION BOARD IS DEDICATED
TO MAKING IT AFFORDABLE
TRADE SCHOOLS, COMMUNITY COLLEGES (2 YEAR) AND
Trade schools are
Cosmotology, Mechanics, Art Schools (art schools have more
academics then other trade schools).
Community College. (2-year degree)
The Degrees are not as indepth as a Bachelors
Colleges or Universities Bachelors degree
Usually takes 4 years but could take longer
Before obtaining a Bachelors degree a student is
Students can also obtain their Masters and above.
ADMISSION TO COLLEGE
Open admissions colleges
Require you take an entrance exam for placement.
Are more difficult to get acceptance
Grades, ACT and SAT are very important
Which ever you choose
It is still important that you have good grades so you won't have to take remedial classes. The highly selective colleges
will use your GPA, ACT, or SAT scores, letters of
recommendation, and an essay to determine if you are a
good candidate for their institution.
When deciding which college to apply to choose at least
one open admission college.
Explore community service opportunities. It looks
good on your college resume.
CONTINUE RESEARCHING COLLEGES, AND THE MAJORS THEY OFFER