Home Our School School History School History

Franklin Elementary

1915 W. Olmos. Dr.
San Antonio, Texas 78201

Phone: (210) 738-9790
Fax: (210) 733-8479



Student Email


School History PDF Print
 
      In the early 1900s, Benjamin Franklin Elementary was originally known as the Waite Academy, a private school located at Neer Avenue and Olmos Drive. It became part of the Los Angeles School District which was formed in 1913.
 
     In 1915, a new school was built at its present location at 1915 W. Olmos. The two-story, eight-room school for grades one through eight became known as the Los Angeles Heights School. Then, in 1924, grades nine through twelve were added after an additional four classrooms were built. After the Los Angeles High School opened in 1929 at the present location of Whittier Middle School, the school once again served as an elementary school.

      By a unanimous vote of its students, it was renamed Benjamin Franklin Elementary. By 1946 four additional classrooms were built and, in 1949, it became part of the San Antonio School District. More building improvements continued with the addition of a cafeteria and a library.

     In 1997, monies were allocated through an SAISD bond program to construct a new school facility which incorporated the original façade of the old building to preserve its history. Beginning construction in 2001, the new 70,601 square-foot school was dedicated on January 13, 2005.

     The new school which serves students from Pre-Kindergarten through Fifth grade include 30 classrooms, a cafetorium, gym, computer lab, fine arts room, and library.