Green Elementary

122 W. Whittier St.
San Antonio, Texas 78210

Phone: (210) 228-3325
Fax: (210) 534-6865


Jan 5 Classes resume Uniform Waiver day


Jan 8-9 Art in the Cart


Jan 16 School Holiday: End of 9 weeks


Jan 19 Martin Luther King Holiday


Jan 20 Uniform Waiver Day


Jan 23 Principal Coffee @ 8:30 a.m.


Jan 30 Family Movie Night @ 6:00 p.m.

Student Email

PDF Print

History of Robert B. Green Elementary School

122 W. Whittier


On April 16, 1915, the Building committee of the San Antonio Independent School District chose the site on Hunstock Avenue as the location for an elementary school building. The construction of the four room redbrick building was awarded to Walsh and Burney.      The school was tentatively called the Hunstock Avenue School.

On May 18, 1915, the name “Robert E. Lee” was submitted as a name for the new school. On May 24, 1915, the action for naming the school Robert E. Lee was reconsidered and the school was named Robert B. Green. The Daughters of the Confederacy protested the change from Robert E. Lee to Robert B. Green but the protest was overruled and the name of Robert B. Green was given to the small new school.

On March 21, 1916, a petition for six additional rooms was presented by the No. 49 Club. This petition was referred to the Building Committee.

During the year 1919, a second four room redbrick building, identical to the first unit was built.

On September 17, 1929, the Superintendent of Schools recommended the purchase of two lots adjacent to the school property. This purchase was made and the playground space provided has been adequate for the students who attend the school until the last few years.

During the summer of 1958 a portion of the hall between the principal’s office and the cafeteria was converted into an office for the school secretary.

1964 enrollment 267 Lessened from previous years due to evacuation for IH35 and 10. Eight teachers.

1965 enrollment 224. City recreation department organized a summer activity program at Robert B. Green to serve the children of the community. The program was repeated in 1966.

1966 enrollment 229. Central library plans made and function on “honor system” without librarian. A Special Education class ages 10-12 added to our regular classes. Nine teachers.


During August 2005 the following renovations took place:

Early Childhood Facility (ECF) renovations.
Classroom and library addition, fine arts room, speech classroom, new PE facility, new cafeteria/kitchen, new/upgraded systems (fire alarm, technology and intercom), landscaping, ADA and other additions/renovations. Three- and four-year-old playground equipment for interior courtyard installed. Scheduled, Bid/installation Spring 2007. New parking lot and site work.