Highland Park Elementary was established in the Fall of 1914 on a hill overlooking the city on the southeast side of San Antonio Independent School District. Highland Park is located in the shadow of the downtown skyline just off Interstate 10, not far from the Alamodome and the Tower of Americas.
Prior to Highland Park’s development as a residential area, the 780 acres were owned by Albert Steves Jr. who made the land available to local dairy farmers as pasture land. The land, referred to at this time as "the old Steve pasture," was purchased in 1909 by L.P. Peck, Benno Kayton, W.C. Rigsby, Ben Hammond, Charles Peterson, and A.M Avant. They formed the Highland Park Improvement Company with an original plan for each investor to build a large house on a street named for himself. Charles Peterson elected to forgo a street in his name, which resulted in Highland Park Boulevard and the main thoroughfare through this suburban area.