Volleyball Open Gym
May 21- June 20
June 11 - 13
|HIstory of Sam Houston|
Sam Houston High School first opened its doors on September 1923. It was housed in the former Milam Elementary School on the corner of Mason and Hackberry. Small enrollment and protests from parents forced the school district to close the high school within a month and reassign its students to Brackenridge and Main Avenue High Schools.
Sam Houston High School reopened in 1942 at 463 Holmgreen—now Carroll Early Childhood Education Center—in a building financed by the Works Project Administration. At that time, Sam Houston was part of the W.W. White School District. In 1950 the W.W. White School District was consolidated with the San Antonio Independent School District.
1n 1960 Sam Houston H.S. moved to its present location at 4635 East Houston Street. Recently, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation awarded a $1 million Texas High School Project grant to Sam Houston to redesign and modernize its campus.
Sam Houston High School uses a small learning community model where students can strive academically and socially in classrooms geared for college preparation. In the spring of 2009, Sam Houston announced its premier program, The Met, a program that stresses the importance of math, engineering, and technology. For the 2011-2012 school year, Sam Houston inaugurated its new HI-Tech Manufacturing Engineering and Technology Program, a part of the New Tech network of high schools. It is the only school of its kind in the city. The New Tech program is supported by numerous community partners including ACCD, St. Phillip’s College, Project Lead the Way, San Antonio Manufacturing Association, Flynt Hills, and the National Academy Foundation.