Home Our School Our History

King Academy

3501 Martin L. King Drive
San Antonio, Texas  78220

Phone: (210) 978-7935
Fax: (210) 223-6907



Student Email


History PDF Print

 The History
of
MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. ACADEMY

During the mid-1950's, San Antonio's Eastside showed a surge of student aged children that needed accommodations due to overcrowding at the local elementary school. With the evaluation and recommendations of the Citizen's Committee on School Needs, James Whitcomb Riley Elementary and Junior High School was constructed. Later moved to 3501 Martin Luther King Drive, Riley was restructured as a middle school. In 1982, Riley's name was officially changed to Martin Luther King Middle School, in honor of Nobel Peace Prize recipient, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

In 1997, a $483 million Bond Program was approved to develop virtually all SAISD campuses. The renovations were completed at King Middle School in December, 2001. The additions included new classrooms, choir room and science labs, enhanced ADA access, new parking lot and landscaped improvements. Not only did the Bond fund a new library, the project helped King Middle School become more technologically advanced with a state-of-the-art band hall and high-tech computer labs.

Today, King Academy, which now services students in grades Pre-Kindergarden to Eighth Grade continues to strive for excellence both academically and socially. The edifice, named after one of the greatest men in history, speaks and continues to hold fast to THE DREAM.

Your can find more information on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. by clicking on his name.

"The function of education ... is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically."

- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.