Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to apply?
All qualified students who have completed the fifth grade and have submitted all application materials by deadline are eligible. Students selected for the program have superior grades, exemplary conduct, exceptional attendance, and have passed all sections of the TAKS tests.
How do I apply?
5th graders who will be entering 6th grade in the Fall and meet the eligibility requirements can obtain an application from Rhodes Middle School, or your school counselor.
What do I need to acomplete my application?
1. Completed applications, essay and recommendation forms (completed by a teacher, counselor or administrator)
2. Grade reports for 4th, and 5th grade
3. TAKS' scores for grades 4
4. Attendance Record for grades 4 and first semester of 5th grade
Where do I get an application?
Currently you can contact the Magnet School Coordinator, Christine Bononcini at Rhodes Middle School, your school's counselor. Below are examples of applications from the past.
Who do I contact if I have more questions?
Magnet Coordinator: Ms. Herrera. her email is
When is the deadline?
Each year the deadline varies, be sure to listen for announcements made by San Antonio ISD or contact Rhodes for individual consideration or special circumstances.
When will I get notified?
Notifications are typically made approximately 1 month after you have submitted your application.
How does student transportation work?
There is a bus contract, an issued bus card (given within the first 2 weeks of school) and a posted bus schedule. Your student's bus schedule depends on their original/home school.
What happens if my child gets accepted?
1. A letter of commitment must be signed by both the student and the parent of their intent to attend Rhodes.
2. Choice slip must be completed. These can be obtained from the student's counselor.
Once in the program, what are the expectations that my child will be required to meet in order to complete the program?
1. Maintain a passing grade in all subjects above a 75.
2. Follow all school and district policies.
3. Follow the SAISD attendance policy.
4. It is HIGHLY recommended that parents obtain an iDATA Portal account at or near the beginning of the school year to monitor their child's grades.
What if my child is not a current SAISD student and he or she wants to attend Rhodes?
The child must apply for the program using a Magent School Student Application (see Mrs. Bononcini)
Upon acceptance a Nonresident Transfer Application must be completed by the parent. This can be obtained from Mrs. Bononcini.
If your student is not accepted into the magnet program, you still have an opportunity to attend Rhodes through the Charter program. Details to come soon.