Home Our School School History

Riverside Park Elementary

202 School St.
San Antonio, Texas 78210

Phone: (210) 228-3355
Fax: (210) 534-6987


Newsflash

 

MARCH
2
015

 

 

02


 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR. SEUSS

 

03-06

 

READ ACROSS AMERICA WEEK

 

 

06

 

 

3RD GRADE FIELD TRIP TO THE MAGIK THEATRE

 

 

06

 

EMPLOYEE APPRECIATION DAY

 

 

08

 

SPRING FORWARD

MOVE YOUR CLOCKS 1 HOUR AHEAD

clock

09-13

 

SPRING BREAK WEEK HOLIDAYS

 

16

 

FREE DRESS DAY

 

ICE CREAM FOR ALL STUDENTS WHO COME TO SCHOOL TODAY

 

 

17


 

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY

19

 

PREK FIELD TRIP TO THE SA ZOO

 

19

 

EVENING WITH THE PRINCIPAL
(cafeteria/gym)
at 6:00pm

 

20

 

MUSIC TEACHER APPRECIATION DAY

 

 

24


 

REY FEO VISITS RIVERSIDE PARK ELEMENTARY 2:00PM 

 


27

 

COFFEE ON THE CURB

 

27

 

EARLY RELEASE DAY AT 12:35PM

 

30

 

STAAR TEST

4TH GRADE WRITING (day 1)

 

31

 

STAAR TEST

4TH GRADE WRITING (day 2)

 

STAAR TEST

5TH GRADE READING

 

 

 

 

 

MAR.


 

MAR.

 


 

MAR

 

 

 

MUSIC IN OUR SCHOOLS MONTH

 

 

NATIONAL NUTRITION MONTH

 


NATIONAL WOMEN'S HISTORY MONTH

   

 

APRIL
2015 

 

 


01




 

APRIL FOOL'S DAY


 

02

 

 

CHILDREN'S BOOK DAY

 

 

 03

 

GOOD FRIDAY HOLIDAY

 


04 

 

SCHOOL LIBRARIAN MONTH

 

05


EASTER SUNDAY

 

08

 

DRAW A PICTURE OF A BIRD DAY


13

 

SCRABBLE DAY

 

14

 

NATIONAL PECAN DAY

 

20

 

PATRIOTS DAY

 

21

 

STAAR TESTING

3RD & 4TH GRADE MATH

 

22

 

 

STAAR TESTING

3RD & 4TH GRADE READING

 

 

22

 

STAAR TESTING 5TH GRADE SCIENCE

 

 

24

 

BATTLE OF FLOWERS HOLIDAY

 

 

APR.

 

 

APR.

 

 

APR.

 

 

 

NATIONAL HUMOR MONTH

 

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL MONTH

 

NATIONAL POETRY MONTH

 

Please Help Support
Our Music Department:
By Bringing In
Box Tops for 
Education

 

boxtop

 

 

Class with Highest
Points Will Have
an Ice Cream Party!
 
Keep turning in 
Box Tops!
For your chance
to win!
 
Still order your
Riverside Park T-Shirts
from Spirit & Pride
online or in the office

Pueden ordenar camisetas
de espiritu y orgullo de
Riverside Park por el
Internet o en la oficina

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Student Email


School History PDF Print
Article Index
School History
Page 2
All Pages
 
106 Years Of History

Riverside Park Elementary
   
pastarchives

 

Riverside Park Elementary

History

 

     It was in 1907 when the San Antonio School Board purchased a building site for the proposed Missionfield School. In 1907, H. L. Page prepared plans for this school and the building was finished in 1908. It was at this time when the name was changed from MissionfieldSchool to Riverside Park School because the city of San Antonio had just completed the fine golf course at the Riverside Park located on Roosevelt Ave. In 1912, the Fowler Brothers who were the developers in this part of the city, offered to sell the remaining portion of the block surrounding Riverside Park for $3000.00. In 1913, an undeterminable amount of money was set aside in order to purchase the lots. After the purchase of the property, there was now about a square block bounded on the north by School Street, on the east by Naylor, on the south by Hansford, and on the west by the railroad track.

     In the school year of 1907-1908, Riverside Park School opened its doors and welcomed their first class of students. The school was a new brick building consisting of four classrooms, which were all equipped with new desks with wrought iron supports, new chairs, and all new supplies. The restrooms were frame buildings located outside of the main building in the yard. There was a large spacious area located in the new building that was used as an office by the first principal, Miss Margaret E. Burke (1908-1923).
     The main entrance of the building was ornamented with sculptured angels, this was found to be an early original work of Dr. Pompeo Louis Coppini. The center of the sculpture donned a round plaque, which contained the name of the school and the date of its establishment. Throughout the years, Coppini’s work has been preserved and when the old building was torn down, the sculpture was carefully placed above the north door entrance on the present building. The plaque is no longer in the center of the sculpture and it is not known when the plaque was demounted.

     In 1930, a new brick building was erected just west of the original structure. The new building consisted of six classrooms, which were equipped with tables and chairs on the lower floor. There was an office, a small clinic and a small bookroom. Names of the board members who were serving at the time were engraved on a bronze plaque and was positioned on a wall at the main entrance of the building. The names are as follows:
• J. H. Hornberger, President

• Mrs. Stella Steve Walker

• Dr. J. A. McIntosh

• Leo Brewer

• Mrs. C. W. Taylor

•Mrs. W. H. Quirk

• Adolph Beckman

• B. W. Hartley, Superintendent


     In 1944-1945, the old type of hand bell that was utilized to call the staff and students was replaced by the school’s first electrical school bell system. In 1948, new furniture was purchased in order to replace the old in five of the upper grade classrooms. In 1950, the 1B class was furnished with modern air-plane type tables and chairs.

     Due to steadily continuous growth in the community, on September 4, 1957, construction began on a new cafeteria stucture. The dedication ceremony of the new cafetorium was celebrated on March 4, 1958.
   
     After fifty years of use, the old building was proven to be unsafe and it was torn down in the spring of 1964. The construction of a new wing consisting of twelve classrooms was started and completed by September 1964. The new classrooms were considered very modern, each room had sinks and bubblers for drinks. Each room had cloakrooms with folding doors, and all rooms were equipped with shelves and coat hangers for children’s coats. All primary rooms had toilet facilities. New furniture was purchased and each student had their own desk and chair.

     In 1966-1967, Riverside Park once again outgrew her building and the plans in the future, perhaps in 1967-1968, are to construct a library and to establish a kindergarten or Headstart Program aided by the Federal Government. Enrolled at the present time (1967) are
482 children with the guidance of 18 teachers.
   
     As growth in community continued to increase, it was necessary to add to the existing building. It was around 1914 when two additional classrooms were added to the original building. The building was made with safe concrete halls and safe concrete stairs. At this time the building was heated with a hot-air furnace. The two upper rooms of the original building had a folding partition, which could be opened in order to create an auditorium. At the beginning of World War I in 1914, additional classrooms and two classrooms in frame buildings were erected on the south side of the yard in order to accommodate the growing number of students. These new rooms housed the lower grade students and teachers.

     One frame building was converted into a cafeteria and auditorium. Then in 1939-1940 the two old frame buildings were torn down and a more serviceable cafetorium was built. 
   
--April 1952… History Compiled by Sarah B. Williamson

-- May 1967… History Updated by Belle Henderson