Welcome to Smith Elementary School, one of the 53 elementary schools with the San Antonio Independent School District. We are located in the residential neighborhood of Dilworth Green on the east side of San Antonio.
Smith Elementary was built in 1903 on land purchased from Eleanor Brackenridge; she was an advocate for women’s rights and was the first woman to vote in Bexar County. This school was built during the transition era from the Victorian aesthetic and Classical Revival style. Briscoe, built in 1904, and Smith Elementary are the only two remaining schools in San Antonio from this transition era. Smith Elementary has had many renovations over the years to extend the building in order to service more students. Our school educates children from pre-kindergarten to fifth.
The school received its name in honor of two heroes of the Texas Revolution. They are Erastus “Deaf” Smith and John William Smith, originally named William John Smith. Both these men served as scouts during the Texas Revolution.