|The History of Whittier Middle School|
John Greenleaf Whittier(1807-1892), was an American poet. His best-known poems fall into two groups—those attacking slavery, and those praising the charms of New England country life. Whittier's simple, direct, and sometimes sentimental style has made his poems, such as "Maud Muller" (1854), popular with both young readers and adults.
From 1833 to 1863, Whittier was active in politics and the antislavery movement. He called for the abolition of slavery in newspaper articles and while serving in the Massachusetts legislature in 1835. The abolitionist cause also dominated his poetry. In "Massachusetts to Virginia" (1843), he criticized the slave state, Virginia, for betraying the Founding Fathers' democratic principles and love of liberty. Retrieved from worldbookonline.com.
John Greenleaf Whittier School was built in 1929. It housed the original Alva Edison High School, which at the time was a six-year junior-senior school. Increased enrollment and crowded conditions created the need to split the schools into two campuses.
In September of 1958, grades ten through twelve were moved into the new Edison High School building at 701 Santa Monica Street. Grades seven through nine remained in the old building and became the new student body of John Greenleaf Whittier Junior High School. When SAISD moved 9th grade to the high school, John Greenleaf Whittier became a middle school housing grades 6th, 7th and 8th.
In the fall of 2003, students moved into temporary facilities next to the school building while construction is being completed. The new school opened in August 2007 as Whittier Middle School, a Health Science Academy.