Home Our History

Woodlawn Elementary School

1717 W. Magnolia Ave.
San Antonio, Texas  78201

Phone: (210) 438-6560
Fax: (210) 732-2037



Student Email


History PDF Print

Our School History

 

Since the early 1920’s the residents of this area have valued education.

 

Woodlawn Elementary opened in 1924 in a small building near its present location. The building in use today was completed and opened in 1930. As the population of the area increased in the early 1990's, a new wing was built to house additional classes. In the early 2000's a library and music room were built. A new wing with science and music classrooms was completed in 2014 as the school transitions to an Academy serving PreK-8th grade. The original structure is under renovation, set to open in 2015.

 

Many of the students who first learned to read and write in these halls still live in the community. Woodlawn is proud to have served many generations of neighborhood children. We have watched students move forward and achieve great success in career and academic pursuits including Former San Antonio Mayor Ed Garza and Current State Senator Letitcia Van de Putte.

 

The faculty and staff at Woodlawn Academy strive to continue the proud tradition of making education a keystone of the community.