Home Our School About Us History of Woodlawn Hills

Woodlawn Hills Elementary School

110 W. Quill Drive
San Antonio, Texas  78228

Phone: (210) 438-6565
Fax: (210) 432-5341



Student Email


History of Woodlawn Hills PDF Print

Woodlawn Hills Elementary

 

Woodlawn Hills Elementary opened in 1924 on Alton and Palm Streets. It was relocated to 110 Quill Drive in 1927 to serve the Woodlawn Lake area neighborhood. At that time, the campus was part of the Los Angeles Heights School District and opened as an elementary-junior high school. In 1949 when the Los Angeles Heights School District merged with SAISD, Woodlawn Hills became an elementary school, but the seventh grade remained there for two more years. In 1951-52, a new brick building was added. The main building was renovated in 1959. Portable classrooms were added to the campus in 1978 to accomodate a growing enrollment.

The 1997 Bond Program funded a new building including a PE facility. The building features 26 classrooms, a fine arts room, special education classrooms, a kitchen and food service area and a spacious administrative suite. The school features a bright, energetic color scheme of purple, orange and yellow with multicolored floor tiles. The front canopy spans the facade of the building and has pillars of multicolored glass at each end. The new building provides state-of-the-art facilities for a student enrollment of 425. It is adjacent to the former school site.