Trustee - District 2
Mr. Howard was elected to the Board in May 1998 and re-elected in 2002 and 2006. He is an employee relations specialist for the Texas American Federation of Teachers and a member of the Board of Directors for the Texas Association of School Boards. He is a product of SAISD and an alumnus of Prairie View A&M University where he majored in music education. He has two children both SAISD graduates. Mr. Howard was elected President of the Board by his peers in May 2008 serving as the first African American chairman in the history of SAISD. His current term expires in 2015.
What is a School Board?
The SAISD Board of Trustees, composed of seven District residents, is the school system's policy-making body. Each trustee represents one of seven single-member districts and is elected by voters of that district. Single-member districts were implemented in 1986. Trustees serve four-year terms
The Board's major duties include:
- Adopting goals and objectives for the District
- Reviewing and acting on policies
- Adopting an annual budget and setting the tax rate
- Electing school personnel as recommended by the superintendent
- Reporting to the public on the District's progress