Apply online for 2018-19 school year at https://saisdchoice.com/.
406 Barrera St.
The mission of SAISD World Languages Program is to establish multilingual classrooms and empower every child with 21st Century skills, so that they can proficiently communicate in other languages and become global citizens.
The vision of the SAISD World Languages Program is to create a well-articulated World Languages Program that prepares students to actively and effectively participate and succeed in a global society.
The World Languages Program prepares students for an increasingly open and globally interconnected world. We seek to strengthen the World Languages Program for all, beginning with exploratory levels in elementary, and continuing through middle and high school advanced courses for college credit as well as career readiness.
Objectives of the Program
|Professional Development||Community and Culture|
World Languages Offered at SAISD
ASL, French, German, Japanese, Latin, Mandarin Chinese, Russian, and Spanish
“Strong evidence shows that time spent on foreign language study strongly reinforces the core subject areas of reading, English language literacy, social studies, and math.”
“Foreign language learners consistently outperform control groups in core subject areas on standardized tests, often significantly.” (Armstrong & Rogers 1997; Saunders 1998; Masciantonio 1977; Rafferty 1986; Andrade 1989; Kretschmer & Kretschmer 1989)
- American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- American Association of Teachers of French
- American Association of Teachers of German
- American Sign Language Teacher's Association
- Chinese Language Teachers Association
- Southwest Conference on Language Teaching (SWCOLT)
- National Foreign Language Resource Center (NFLRC)
- National Association for Bilingual Education (NABE)
- Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL)
- AP Central
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
- San Antonio International Relations Office
- Lead with Languages
- Latin America Network Information Center
- Asia Society
- The Chinese Language Teachers Association
- American Association of Teachers of Japanese
- American Council of Teachers of Russian
- The American Classical League