The Science Department oversees science instruction district-wide and works in collaboration with campuses to develop students who understand scientific inquiry and are able to engage in a variety of scientific practices to explain phenomena or solve problems.
Through that collaboration work, students will be able to:
- Understand science as an iterative, dynamic, creative, and collaborative process similar to how real scientists do their work;
- Develop models of systems within the natural world and use them to explain phenomena or solve problems;
- Investigate and problem-solve relevant, real-world situations using critical thinking;
- Use science interactive notebooks to show development and revision of scientific models;
- Engage in purposeful reading, writing, and speaking to strengthen science understanding; and
- Engage in productive discourse with teachers and other students to explain phenomena or solve problems.
For more information about science instruction in SAISD, refer to the Instructional Frameworks below.