University of Texas - San Antonio
Master of Education - Bi-cultural/Bilingual Education
Bilingual school teachers and instructional leaders will have the opportunity to earn a Master’s degree through the district’s partnership with the University of Texas, San Antonio (UTSA). These degree programs allow teachers to complete the 30-hour Master’s program in two years.
About the Program
- SAISD will provide full tuition coverage for the Master’s degree program The participant will be responsible for: the application fee, student fees, and textbooks (every semester)
- The program is a 2-year commitment – 6 semesters, starting in the summer
- Classes meet once per week for 2.5 hours (long semester at SAISD location, summer @ UTSA DT campus)
- Some courses are hybrid courses (some online and some face-to-face time)
- In exchange for the payment of tuition, the individuals selected into the program agree to diligently pursue and obtain the UTSA degree until completion and continue full–time employment with SAISD as a classroom teacher for 3 consecutive, complete academic years.
SAISD Admissions Requirements
- 2+ years of teaching experience
- Must be fluent in Spanish, as part of the instruction will be in Spanish
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- GPA 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- If you are chosen to continue to the next phase, there will be a $60 non-refundable online application fee through UTSA.
About the Degree
The Bi-cultural-Bilingual Education concentration at UTSA provides opportunities for advanced study in the design and implementation of bi-cultural-bilingual education programs with a particular focus on South Texas schools. This interdisciplinary concentration presents systematic instruction in bilingualism, cultural dynamics, applied linguistics, and the examination of theory and research related to effective bilingual education.
We are excited about this new opportunity to collaborate on improving learning outcomes for our students in SAISD!